6 days post op, one breast much larger than the other. Is this normal? (photos)

Hello. I am 6 days post op from getting 430cc UHP silicone unders. The first day I saw my breast (post op day 2) they looked perfect. As time has gone on it seems like my left breast has become more sore and larger than the right. My left breast was smaller before surgery. I know I am only a few days out and it takes time for things to settle the way they should. I am trying not to worry but it's hard not to do so. I have called my PS, waiting for a call back.

Early symmetry issues after a breast augmentation

+2
You had some degree of asymmetry prior to surgery.  I would expect that after the initial healing period your breasts will be more even but you will not achieve absolute symmetry.  

Breast augmentation

+2
Unless there is severe asymmetry, pain, significant bruising, then it is most likely just swelling. But yes, it is a good idea to see your surgeon.

Breast asymmetry post op

+2
I know the hardest thing to do is wait, but honestly, don't expect your breasts to be where they are going to be for at least 3 months. They will continue to change for at least that long.  It is difficult to perceive an appreciable difference between your breasts in these pictures, but they are only one view.  If you think there is more than a half cup difference then I would recommend you see your doctor or her nurse.  The differences I see are easily explained by post op swelling differences.

Melinda Haws, MD

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+2
You were asymmetric before surgery and you put the same size implants in so the asymmetry will persist postop. If there are minor differences in size it could be due to normal post op swelling. Time will allow the swelling to resolve and your breats should be less painful.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

6 days post op, one breast much larger than the other. Is this normal?

+2
You were asymmetric in your befores so using the same size was an error. Best you see your chosen surgeon... 

+2
The pictures show some size difference before surgery and the breasts look fairly similar after surgery. Some minor size differences may be due to normal swelling. If you are concerned, ask your plastic surgeon about this. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Healing

+2
Thank you for your question about breast augmentation and healing.
Healing takes more time than people expect and it can be discouraging.
  • You are still swollen and things take time to heal and one side can heal faster than the other. 
  • Usually it takes up to three months for the implants to settle down. As the swelling goes away, the implant softens and looks more natural.
  • You will need at least six months to see your final result. 
If you have serious concerns, it is important to see your plastic surgeon because she/he knows exactly what was done for you.

Best Wishes.
EM

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Breasts often he'll asymmetrically after breast augmentation.

+1
Slight volume asymmetry after breast augmentation is fairly common. Major asymmetries should be brought to the attention of your surgeon as a fluid collection might have generated this problem and would require drainage. I don't see anything in the photographs to be worried about.