6 days post op, one breast much larger than the other. Is this normal? (photos)

Hello. I am 6 days post op from getting 430cc UHP silicone unders. The first day I saw my breast (post op day 2) they looked perfect. As time has gone on it seems like my left breast has become more sore and larger than the right. My left breast was smaller before surgery. I know I am only a few days out and it takes time for things to settle the way they should. I am trying not to worry but it's hard not to do so. I have called my PS, waiting for a call back.

Early symmetry issues after a breast augmentation

You had some degree of asymmetry prior to surgery.  I would expect that after the initial healing period your breasts will be more even but you will not achieve absolute symmetry.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Breast augmentation

Unless there is severe asymmetry, pain, significant bruising, then it is most likely just swelling. But yes, it is a good idea to see your surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Breast asymmetry post op

I know the hardest thing to do is wait, but honestly, don't expect your breasts to be where they are going to be for at least 3 months. They will continue to change for at least that long.  It is difficult to perceive an appreciable difference between your breasts in these pictures, but they are only one view.  If you think there is more than a half cup difference then I would recommend you see your doctor or her nurse.  The differences I see are easily explained by post op swelling differences.

Melinda Haws, MD

1915 State Street
Nashville, TN 37203

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

You were asymmetric before surgery and you put the same size implants in so the asymmetry will persist postop. If there are minor differences in size it could be due to normal post op swelling. Time will allow the swelling to resolve and your breats should be less painful.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

1800 Howell Mill Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30318

6 days post op, one breast much larger than the other. Is this normal?

You were asymmetric in your befores so using the same size was an error. Best you see your chosen surgeon... 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

The pictures show some size difference before surgery and the breasts look fairly similar after surgery. Some minor size differences may be due to normal swelling. If you are concerned, ask your plastic surgeon about this. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Breast Augmentation and Healing

Thank you for your question about breast augmentation and healing.
Healing takes more time than people expect and it can be discouraging.
  • You are still swollen and things take time to heal and one side can heal faster than the other. 
  • Usually it takes up to three months for the implants to settle down. As the swelling goes away, the implant softens and looks more natural.
  • You will need at least six months to see your final result. 
If you have serious concerns, it is important to see your plastic surgeon because she/he knows exactly what was done for you.

Best Wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Breasts uneven after augmentation

This is a great question, I hear it every day!  It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for one breast to be larger or higher than the other breast after augmentation. It takes several weeks for the swelling to resolve and for your implants to settle.

So it's important for you to keep all your appointments with your plastic surgeon and to follow his/her advice.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

Dr Knoetgen

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Early post op asymmetry

First off you are very early after your operation and there is still a long way to go in the healing and settling process so you should not get too concerned about things at this point in time.

In regards to asymmetry, it really depends on your specific situation. You had some slight asymmetry before, and there will be some afterwards as well. This is perfectly normal. Augmented breasts are simply your breasts but larger, they can be made to be closer overall but will never be identical. You could have placed different sized implants to decrease the difference, but since you used the same a similar amount of asymmetry will persist.

However, its still way too early to make any assessment, they will also heal and descend at their own individual paces. They wont assume their final look until 3-6 months and sometimes some subltle changes after that, mostly a softening in appearance. Hope that helps.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

4850 Commerce Drive
Bakersfield, CA 93309

Breasts often he'll asymmetrically after breast augmentation.

Slight volume asymmetry after breast augmentation is fairly common. Major asymmetries should be brought to the attention of your surgeon as a fluid collection might have generated this problem and would require drainage. I don't see anything in the photographs to be worried about.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305