Knots Under my Incision Scar

I recently had a TT, I have been healing very well, but in the beginning of this week I noticed 2 small knots under my scar, one on the left and one on the right, I have been massaging them regularly (dont know if that helps) and they seem to be going away, when I touch the one on the right it does not hurt but it seems there is a line leading away from it that hurts a little (used to feel that pain in the first 6 weeks of healing. Sorry I dont have a pic, its not visible just by looking.

Knots after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Occasional painful sensations and palpable textural irregularities are common occurrences during the healing process after tummy tuck, and generally not great cause for concern.  The lumps you're feeling may be exactly what you call them - knots, from the dissolvable suture material used to close your incision, and possible your body's reaction to their presence.  If massage seems to be helping, by all means continue.  If you notice any knots or suture material protruding through the incision itself, let your plastic surgeon know, so that they may be removed without causing any further problems.

Knots Under The Incision Scars

The knots are the deep sutures healing and it is normal to feel them. The incisions will heal for several weeks to months. You may even experience some coming out of the skin from time to time, which is also normal. In a year your scars will heal and look great. I hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD

Scar Knots

Sutures used to close tummy tuck incision are typically all below the surface of the skin and absorbable.  It can take several months for the sutures to absorb.  Before they do, your body may try to expel them out through the incision.  Return to your surgeon if any of these sites are problematic.

Knots under scar from an abdominoplasty

Marginal necrosis at the wound edge especially in the midline is not unusual following an abdominoplasty. With conservative management it will get better. Your plastic surgeon will help you get this area healed.

Inflammatory Nodules May Develop with Absorbable Sutures Following Tummy Tuck

Its not unusual for abdominoplasty incisions to be closed with a series of absorbable sutures.  These sutures typically resorb in 3-6 months following surgery.  During this process inflammatory nodules can occasionally develop which are sometimes tender.

These nodules typically respond to massage and often dissolve with the passage of time.  It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to address this problem and reassure you.

Tummy tuck

Scars will be pink, firm and bumpy for 3-4 months.  In most cases they will start to fade, soften and flatten out over the next 3-6 months.  If the scar starts to raise up like a keloid try topical silicone.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Palpable bumps in incisions commonly are sutures

It is very common that patients have palpable bumps under their incisions following tummy tucks. Most commonly, what the patients are feeling is the suture material (knots) under the skin. Even absorbable sutures take three months to be patient.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Lumps along Tummy Tuck Scar Line.....

Lumps under your skin along your tummy tuck scar line are most likely  your sutures or inflammation around your sutures.  In most cases these stitches dissolve over 3-6 months.  As this happens, there is inflammation around them.
These lumps may also be what is called Fat Necrosis.  This is more common near the midline of your scar.  These usually persist for months to years and can be removed surgically if they are uncomfortable.  

Bumps under incision

As you progress in your healing, you will often notice things you may not have noticed originally. "Bumps" under the incision are likely sutures underneath the skin. It is likely you never noticed them before because prior to this time your swelling masked these bumps. As your swelling resolved, these bumps became more apparent.

Stitches underneath the skin can take up to six months before they completely dissolve, depending on the material of which they are made. 

Knots under the incision after a tummy tuck

"Knots" or firm areas felt under the healing incision after a tummy tuck can either represent the scar tissue forming around dissolvable sutures (before they have had a chance to dissolve) or just the normal "healing ridge" that is scar tissue in a scar that has not softened yet.  Isolated lumps can sometimes represent a very small blood collection or small hematoma.  Usually these will resolve over time.  Massage will help scar tissue soften faster, but I would wait until after 6 weeks so that the scar is healed and strong and cannot be disrupted.