Knots Under my Incision Scar

I recently had a TT, I have been healing very well, but in the beginning of this week I noticed 2 small knots under my scar, one on the left and one on the right, I have been massaging them regularly (dont know if that helps) and they seem to be going away, when I touch the one on the right it does not hurt but it seems there is a line leading away from it that hurts a little (used to feel that pain in the first 6 weeks of healing. Sorry I dont have a pic, its not visible just by looking.

Bumps in my incision after tummy tuck

These are probably just stitches under the skin that the body is working on dissolving. It will resolve with time. Sometimes these stitches can break through the skin during the process, but it still heals with time.

4850 West Panther Creek Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77381

Knots along incisions

What you are describing as knots are probably dissolvable sutures your surgeon used to close your incision.  This is quite common to notice these, as it takes time for them to dissolve completely, especially where the knot is tied.  At your next post operative appointment you can point this out to your plastic surgeon and they may be able to help get rid of these sooner. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

8712 Lindholm Drive
Huntersville, NC 28078

This can be a natural part of the healing process.

As the swelling from a tummy tuck subsides, it’s quite common to notice bumps or feel other sensations that you hadn’t noticed before. What you’re feeling are most likely the sutures that your surgeon used to seal your incision. Sutures can take from three to six months to heal, and will slowly dissolve beneath the surface of your skin. During the healing process, nodules may sometimes form around the sutures and can feel tender. Nodules respond well to massage and should also resolve within time. It’s best to discuss any concerns you may have with your surgeon, who can advise you in your recovery.

Nirav Savalia, MD

180 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Knots after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Occasional painful sensations and palpable textural irregularities are common occurrences during the healing process after tummy tuck, and generally not great cause for concern.  The lumps you're feeling may be exactly what you call them - knots, from the dissolvable suture material used to close your incision, and possible your body's reaction to their presence.  If massage seems to be helping, by all means continue.  If you notice any knots or suture material protruding through the incision itself, let your plastic surgeon know, so that they may be removed without causing any further problems.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

1111 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10128

Knots Under The Incision Scars

The knots are the deep sutures healing and it is normal to feel them. The incisions will heal for several weeks to months. You may even experience some coming out of the skin from time to time, which is also normal. In a year your scars will heal and look great. I hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD

9730 Wilshire BLVD
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Scar Knots

Sutures used to close tummy tuck incision are typically all below the surface of the skin and absorbable.  It can take several months for the sutures to absorb.  Before they do, your body may try to expel them out through the incision.  Return to your surgeon if any of these sites are problematic.

Nicholas Tarola, MD

1800 Medical Center Parkway
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Knots under scar from an abdominoplasty

Marginal necrosis at the wound edge especially in the midline is not unusual following an abdominoplasty. With conservative management it will get better. Your plastic surgeon will help you get this area healed.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Inflammatory Nodules May Develop with Absorbable Sutures Following Tummy Tuck

Its not unusual for abdominoplasty incisions to be closed with a series of absorbable sutures.  These sutures typically resorb in 3-6 months following surgery.  During this process inflammatory nodules can occasionally develop which are sometimes tender.

These nodules typically respond to massage and often dissolve with the passage of time.  It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to address this problem and reassure you.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Tummy tuck

Scars will be pink, firm and bumpy for 3-4 months.  In most cases they will start to fade, soften and flatten out over the next 3-6 months.  If the scar starts to raise up like a keloid try topical silicone.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

629 S Main Street
Lombard, IL 60148

Palpable bumps in incisions commonly are sutures

It is very common that patients have palpable bumps under their incisions following tummy tucks. Most commonly, what the patients are feeling is the suture material (knots) under the skin. Even absorbable sutures take three months to be patient.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

465 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210