Safe to Use Stairs Two Days After Tummy Tuck?

I will be staying at the surgery center overnight and will go home the next day . I am getting hernia repair , muscle repair , tummy tuck and lipo on flanks . Is it ok to walk upstairs to my bedroom the 2nd day if i have assistance with me . Thanks for all the help and i really appreciate it.

Stairs after Tummy Tuck

+1
Stairs are not a problem following a tummy tuck  for most and recommended as long as you use a hand rail, have assistance nearby, and slightly bent. In fact, walking and taking stairs slowly is safe as long as you are not dizzy and  may help prevent complications like blood clots in your leg veins (DVT) .

Stairs after tummy tuck

+1

Walking is a great way to prevent blot clots and feel free to walks as much as possible. Two days after a tummy tuck you will likely still be on narcotic pain meds. Go slow up the stairs....if you are unsteady or have increased pain then do not climb stairs. In a few weeks you can almost do anything you like. Do not risk a complication.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Ambulation is encouraged after a tummy tuck.  Take the stairs one at a time putting both feet on each step and hold a handrail.  I hope this helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Tummy Tuck Precautions

+1

You should clear this with your surgeon.

As far as I am concerned, walking up a flight of stairs while someone is assisting you on the second day should pose no harm as long as you do not put your abs under stress. If you feel any discomfort try to sleep down stairs for a few days.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Walking after a Tummy Tuck: Encouraged but have help.

+1

It is very important to walk after a tummy tuck as this pumps the blood through your leg veins with your muscles and helps to decrease the risk of deep venous thrombosis or a blood clot. I encourage my patients to walk the night of the operation and recommend at least 5 times for patients to get up walk each day after. Stairs are ok if you have help and remember to walk in the bent position to protect your incision. I hope this helps. 

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

When can I use stairs after my tummy tuck?

+1

The cliche answer to this question is: "Slow and steady wins the race!" You can go up stairs the day of your surgery. You will need assistance and you may need to rest going up, but you can if you must. With each passing day after surgery, activities will become easier.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and stairs

+1

I will tell my patients to avoid stairs after a tummy tuck. You will be pulling on the inferior part of the plication which at an early date can affect it. Avoid the stairs but walk, walk , walk. Make sure to keep your Plastic Surgeon informed of any changes or concerns. Good Luck.

Paul Albear, MD

+1

RE : "I am getting hernia repair , muscle repair , tummy tuck and lipo on flanks . Is it ok to walk upstairs to my bedroom the 2nd day if i have assistance with me ."

Walking the night of surgery and after wards is a great way to lower the risk of blood clots and pneumonia. You should walk and could go up the stairs as long as someone was there with you just in case. What I would not be happy with is a major exertion. If you really have to bear down when you walk, your pressure will go up and you may start bleeding. So - it is best to initiate major physical activity just like you take a hot bath - step into it slowly.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Stairs after a TT

+1

Walking around a bit after a TT is always encouraged in order to keep the blood moving in your legs so clots won't develop.  Stairs are certainly possible as long as there is someone to assist you and make sure you don't fall.  Take them one at  a time and go slowly.  The same applies to coming back down the stairs, but ideally once you are settled someone else can run up and down the stairs for you  for a day or two.  Good luck!

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Activity after Tummy Tuck

+1

I encourage my patients to ambulate after surgery, but like them to limit stair climbing for several days. Since you state you are having a hernia repair,  you may have poor quality abdominal  wall tissue that lead to this condition. If you have a mesh repair, I would limit excessive activity and let discomfort be your guide.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon