Will My Tip Ever Soften Or Am I Stuck With A Hard Tip?

I am three months post-rhinoplasty and have had a kenalog injection to reduce the swelling (which my doctor says is almost gone) but my tip is still rock hard. I have not had a significant other since my operation, but am afraid my non-malleable nose will affect kissing. Will my tip ever soften or am I stuck with a hard tip?

Tip firmness and rhinpolasty

+1

Typically it takes 6 months to a year for the firmness in the tip of the nose to resolve. This is often accentuated if you had an open approach or external incision. Also, the placement of cartilage grafts can increase firmness for an extended period of time. Unless, you had a silicone type of implant placed it typically resolves with time.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard tip following rhino

+1

If you are at 3 mo I think iris safe to say some softening will occur by 12 mo

with that said some rhinos require grafting to create durable results as a consequence the nose may be a little more stiff indefinitely

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Hard Tip 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Firmness or hardness of the tip just 3 months post rhinoplasty usually indicates swelling which will resolve with time. If one of my patients who lives in another state or country calls because of a firm tip I can assure them that they are still swollen even without seeing them.

Nasal Tip Hardness After Rhinoplasty

+1

The tip of the nose always takes the longest to assume its final appearance and consistency, often a year or even longer.  It will require patience but it should definitely get softer and more pliable.

Factors that can affect how long this will take are numerous, including approach (open or not), skin type and thickness, whether or not a tip graft was used, and several others.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will My Tip Ever Soften Or Am I Stuck With A Hard Tip

+1

Hi,

Your tip should soften with time. It may take up to a year. Sometimes a tip cartilage graft may be whats making your nose stiff, if thats the case this will not soften.

Give yourself a full year.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS