What Kind of Treatment Should I Use on Facial Scar?

I got these 2 scars (1 on my head and 1 on my face) when I crashed on a motorcycle 2 months ago. I'm not sure what type of treatment I should look into to reduce the appearance - and also when should these treatments be done? Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer. I went to a laser center and they recommended ematrix - however the reviews specify that it is more for acne scars. They also said they would need medical clearance to proceed with treatment. Thoughts?

Scar revision

+2

The scalp scars are best camouflaged by letting your hair grow to cover them. The temple and cheek scar is mostly visibly because of its red color. This will lighten with time. If you want to speed the process you could undergo flashlamp pulsed dye laser (there are numerous models available from different manufacturers) treatments.

Hair transplant and pulsed dye laser for a scalp scar

+1

Pulsed dye laser and Follicular unit extraction and hair transplantation are effective in improving this scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Motor vehicle/motorcycle scars

+1

In the first 4 month post-injury, I recommend bioCorneum silicone gel which can flatten, soften and smooth scar. Some people even see a reduction in discoloration. Depending on if the scars become raised or depressed, laser modalities or subcision are suitable for the cosmetic improvement.

Cheryl M. Burgess, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Start with a non prescription topical... they help.

+1

Many topical treatments will help. Scar tissue can be melted no matter how old it is or what made it as long as it is either overgrown or still growning. If it is sunken, nothing will work.

Topical silicone sheeting hlpe raise the enzyme that melts scar tissue, but is a bit cumbersome. Scarguard does it also.  It is a liquid that dries to an almost invisible flexible film sheet. You can never erase a scar but this product will make it look better. It is dispensed by a lot of plastic surgeons after surgeies and injuries to lessen scars.

Sure, you can operate and revise a scar, get cortisone shots and do a lot of more aggressive things, but start with this product. At the very least it will help. Often, its all that is needed. 

Joel Studin, MD