Juvederm Vs Radiesse

I'm very interested in a volumizing filler around my jawline and still deciding between the two. I was told over the phone that Juvederm can last 6-12 months longer than Radiesse. Is this true ? I was thinking of going Radiesse because it's affordable ,but if it is true that Juvederm does last longer than long term I'd be saving money from annual visits. What's the best choice ?

During your in person consultation discuss which product will provide you with the optimum results.

+1
Thank you for your question. During your in person consultation discuss which product will provide you with optimum results. If similar results will be obtained between the 2 products then decide based on price and longevity. 

Some Juvederm products last longer than others, ensure you receive correct information. 

Juvederm over Radiesse for facial contouring

+1
While there are no fillers FDA-approved specifically for jawline contouring, Juvederm and Radiesse are good options.  I agree with the experts who have commented that the most important factor in deciding which filler is best is the not the duration- both last over 1 year- but rather the result.  
In my view, how natural of an effect the product will yield, how it settles in the tissue and how amenable it is to molding and correction are paramount. For these reasons, I tend to prefer Juvederm (Voluma) for contouring the jawline.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse vs. Juvederm Along the Jawline

+1
Thank you for the question. I agree with the other experts here -- Radiesse generally lasts longer than Juvederm.  For the chin, jawline, and pre-jowl area, I prefer to use Radiesse.  This generally lasts 12-18 months and gives a better local volumization when placed in the deep tissues (along the bone).  Voluma is another good, long-lasting option.  The only advantage of Voluma is that it is reversible (by use of an enzyme), whereas Radiesse is not. In very volume deficient patients, a combination of fillers can give the best results. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline Volumizing

+1
Juvederm Ultra Plus can last up to 12 months, Radiesse can last up to 18 months, Juvederm Voluma can last 24-30 months. I prefer to use Juvederm Voluma in the jawline on the appropriate candidate. Voluma will give your jawline a nice lift while also giving it definition, best of all my patients like the longevity of the product. It is important to have a consultation with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which filler is the best option for your facial anatomy.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse versus Juvederm for Jaw volumizing

+1
Radiesse is documented in it's studies for lasting longer then Juvederm. The most important factor is not the length of time but how the material reacts in different areas of injection. With an in person consultation a specialized injecting physician will be able to tell you your best options for the areas needed. I do not believe that Radiesse is any less expensive then Juvederm?? Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Best Filler for Volumizing the Jawline

+1
Hi Pet,

Radiesse (12-18 months) is thought to last longer than Juvederm and Juvederm Plus (9-12 months), and is a stronger lifting product.  Juvederm's new product, Voluma, lasts longer than Radiesse, up to 2 years.  I prefer to use either Radiesse or Sculptra (2-4 years once correction is obtained) to add volume to the jawline.  I have heard of Voluma being used along the jawline sometimes even mixed with Radiesse.  All of these uses are off-label.  Most important for you to choose  your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.
Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Determining best choice of filler for specific anatomic area

+1
Radiesse and Juvederm have similar longevity, and this is not the biggest difference distinguishing the two products.  The biggest difference is their elastic modulus - roughly the firmness of the product.  Radiesse is much, much more firm than Juvederm, which makes it better suited for restoring areas of bony deficit and areas where more "lift" is needed.  Juvederm is much silkier and smoother, making it better in areas where a smooth, silky contour is desired, such as the lips and smile lines.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Juvederm vs Radiesse

+1
I would think it would be best for you to consult with a board-certified injector for an assessment of your specific needs and concerns. Neither Juvederm or Radiesse are approved for the jawline, so anything we tell you will be based on our own experiences rather than FDA facts. In no way should Radiesse be any more "affordable" than Juvederm. Personally, I almost always opt for a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm for first-time filler patients. Every now and then there will be someone who doesn't love filler and wants it reversed, and there is no way to remove Radiesse - only time removes it!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm vs radiesse

+1
The jawline is not an FDA approved area, so we won't have any good studies to actually tell you which product is better there and lasts longer. I always opt for juvederm over radiesse because juvederm is hyaluronic acid and is reversible should you have any problems or bumps. Not so for radiesse. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Juvederm versus Radiesse for the Jawline

+1
We are lucky to have an armamentarium of fillers that have unique properties and can be picked using these properties to best augment different areas of the face.  Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid filler that is very hydrophilic.  I love to use it for the wrinkles around the mouth and for the lips.  It's property of attracting fluid plumps the wrinkles around the mouth, minimizes smoker's lines, and gives a natural and soft augmentation to the lips.

Radiesse, on the other hand, is a robust filler, with excellent lifting capacity.  It is an excellent choice for midface augmentation, resulting in beautiful cheekbones.  Another excellent place for Radiesse is the jawline area and the chin.  In addition to giving a nice jawline definition and correction the pre-jowl area, it can literally act as a chin implant, sparing someone from a surgical procedure.

Having said all of this, I would urge you to see an experienced dermatologist or aesthetic surgeon (plastic, oculoplastic, or facialplastic).  No matter how excellent the filler, it is the skill of your injector that will make all the difference.

Good luck!

Tatiana Khrom, MD