Can Juvederm Be Felt Under the Lips?

I am thinking of having Juvederm to make my lips more plump and to have more volume. Although, after having a consultation, I was told that I would always feel the juvederm as if it is a small wire under the skin around the lips. Will this go away after a few days? Also, is having lumps on the lips common after having Juvederm?

Can you feel Juvederm if injected into lips?

+2

Most fillers are palpable for the first 10 days after injection. However, the lips should feel normal after a couple of weeks. Obviously, the larger the volume of injection, the more likely you will feel it.

I don't agree

+2

The Juvederm initially will feel a bit firm as the swelling and inflammation resole, however, after several days to a week, it will soften, and should not be noticeable.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Feeling lumps or bumps from Juvederm lip augmentation

+2

Feeling small lumps or uneven areas inside the lip after Juvederm injections is not uncommon. This happens for two reasons:

1) The first reason: The inside of the lip and mouth is very smooth and the tongue will detect any change in smoothness or the surface landscape (no matter how minor) once filler is injected into the lips. So the fact that you might feel some changes is entirely reasonable and nothing to be worried about. Injection technique is important, obviously, but even the most practiced injectors can't guarantee the inside of the lip will feel 100% smooth following lip augmentation.

2) The second reason: Lip tissue is very much like sponge -- some of the "spaces" are larger than others so once filler is injected, it's purely an anatomical reality for some of those spaces accept more filler than others. This is what a patient may feel with lip augmentation...and this is nearly always confined to the inside of the lip unless you have a very thin lip body or an extremely thin epidermal layer.

Bear in mind that you most likely will only feel these irregularities or small lumps and not see them unless you lift or pull down the lip and stretch it tightly. Very few patients ever see any irregularities on the outside of the lips.

Smaller amounts of filler reduce the likelihood of sensing the filler used in lip augmentation.

Since it is the exterior visual that most patients want, it's worth focusing on that result. An experienced physician will not ignore other parts of the mouth area. Often times the philtral columns will benefit from a tiny amount of Juvederm or other filler to restore the natural Cupid’s bow. And the mouth corners themselves can be lifted with products like Evolence or in some cases with Botox if the downturn is caused by muscle contraction.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

Yes; you will feel some more solid feeling to the lips, although this is not anything that most patients complain about. Lumps are not that common, but can occur after Juvederm.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm for the lips.

+1

Hi!

In New York City, we do quite a few Juvederm injections in the lips, and our experience is that, with good technique, lumps or palpable "strings" are very very rare.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvederm for lips

+1

I do a lot of Juvederm injections, and I have Juvederm in my lips. It is a great product. It is really soft, much softer than Restylane, and it should not look or feel like a wire. However, you will probably be able to feel some soft lumps in your lips. They may stay pretty hard and swollen for the first several days. The final result certainly depends on your injector, so make sure you find someone who does a lot of these injections and has good results.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Juvederm Lip Augmentation

+1

It all depends on the injection is done.  After a couple of weeks you should not really be able to tell where the injections were placed.  In certain occasion, if the injection becomes a bit too superficial you will be able to see the injection though.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD