How Many IU's of Botox Would It Take to Lift the Eyebrows?

i recently was treated with DYSPORT (25 IU's) to increase the arches of my eyebrows. it did absolutely nothing. i wanted to try botox this time, and i spoke with a doctor who told me that 50 IU's would do the trick. how much would this cost me?

Not too much if the right places injected

+2

Botox (Allergan) is injeceted in 3 distinct areas to lift the eyebrows. Two are on the tail of the eyebrows where only 2-3 units can be injected. Another in teh center of the glabellar complex where 4 units can be injected. Sometimes the tail need but to be treated to give that lift, but the glabellar area should also be injected to optomize the treatment.

Dubai Dermatologist

Botox treatment cost

+1
Generally, clinics provide a per unit price, and you simply multiply that amount with the number of units administered during treatment. Find out how much your doctor would be charging to determine the cost of your treatment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox can provide a browlift effect

+1

Botox can, in selected cases, provide an elevation of the brows. However, not all patients are candidates and an adequate amount of botox must be administered in properly selected sites for this to be successful. The principle behind a botox browlift is the uncoupling of the frontalis brow elevator from the strong central and side depressor muscles. If a patient does not have strong depressors, then using botox to uncouple them will not be successful, as the elevator is not being competed with or "pulled down" and botox is less likely to be successful at lifting or elevating the brow.

If the elevator muscle, the frontalis, is weak, then using botox is also unlikely to be successful. Finally, if you have strong depressor brow muscles and a strong elevator, then you must use an adequate amount of botox to uncouple the elevator from the tryanny of the depressors. It is my experience that I  need 45-60 units of botox in the depressors and 10-15 units to shape the frontalis. Total average botox deployed in a botox browlift may total 60-75 units. Finally, to elevate the brow often means a more arched or diabolical appearance, which, in men, may feminize the brow which you might not find attractive.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Brow lift with Botox or Dysport - what is the correct dose?

+1

A "brow lift" using Botox or Dysport requires understanding of how which muscles are responsible for lifting the brows.  Because these products work by relaxing, it then is necessary to relax key muscles that are pulling the brows down and inward.  Taken into consideration gender, muscle action, and whether or not someone is a better candidate for surgical intervention.

In our practice, achieving a brow lift with Botox requires dosing the muscles responsible for frowning (glabella area) as well as the eye muscle at the point where the tails ends of the eybrows are.  If we are using a conversion of 1 unit of Botox is equivalent to 3 units of Dypsort - a standard dose for the glabella area is 60 units to lift the inner brows and soften the muscle causing a frown.  To achieve a lateral brow lift (the tails of the eyebrows), we use a standard dosing of 5 units of Botox to each side which would be 15 units of Dysport each side.  Of course, there are factors that may change this dosing, but this is a typical treatment that works quite well for most.

There is a possibility by the dose that you are describing that your practitioner injected your forehead muscle in an attempt to lift the arches of the eyebrows when you animate or use your forehead.  In any event, this is not recommended when trying to achieve a brow lfit. 

See the below link for photos of a brow lift with Botox/Dysport as well as more articles.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dysport vs. botox to raise the eyebrows

+1

In general, it seems that the conversion ration of Dysport to Botox is about three to one. That means that if one needs on average about 25 units for the glabella region and two units each for the tail of the eyebrow to lift this area (29 units) then you would need about 87 units of Dypsort.

Ronald Shelton, MD

The "Poor Man's" Non-Surgical Browlift

+1

Falling brows can result from a combination of factors seen with the passage of time. Firstly, the normal frankfurter-shaped fat pad that sits directly under the outer third of the eyebrows in youth shrinks and shrivels and the little that remains goes South to push the outer third of the brown down over the upper eyelids leading to dermatochalasis or excess skin hanging over the upper lid, like a second lid. . Further contributing to fallen brows is a paradoxical increase with time  in muscular activity of the muscles of facial expression enabling the frown (scowl) muscles and those around the upper eyelids to pull the brows downward. 

In my experience, for the best and most lasting nonsurgical  "Poor Man's" eyebrow lift results  both problems must  be addressed. For the muscular component,  I typically use Botox, approximately 20 units for the frown (glabellar) lines and another four units in each of two locations along the outer portion of each of the eyebrows. (Dyport may also be used for this purpose in does of 50units for the scowl lines and 10 units in each of the two locations of the outer brown mentioned above.) To replace the lost volume and to restore the more youthful,  rounded contours under the outer brows, I typically choose to instill small amounts of Juvederm or Restylane.  The effect can be quite gratifying and the whole procedure may take about ten minutes.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

IU's of Botox would it take to lift the eyebrows

+1

Great question! From my over 15 years experience I will answer between 10 to 25 units in the CORRECT areas to cause lateral eyebrow elevation or the "cheap man's brow lift".

From MIAMI DR. B

25 units of Dysport was gross under-dosing

+1

25 units would have the biological effect of about 8 units of Botox (in my experience). This is next to nothing and I would expect no benefit. Lifting brows requires that the doctor evaluate your unique anatomy. There is no cookie cutter method or dosage for a brow lift. It can take as little as 15 units of Botox, or need as much as 45 units.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Converting Dysport units to Botox units

+1

There is unfortunately a lot of confusion in converting Botox dosing to Dysport dosing, but most are using somewhere around 2.5 to 3 so 20 units of Botox equates to 50-60 units of Dysport. For eyebrow shaping, typically I would use at least 15-20 units of Botox so your Dysport dose was on the low side. Give it another try and make sure it has been recently mixed.

Richard Baxter, MD

Arched eyebrows with Dysport

+1

Costs vary tremendously for units of Botulinum toxin. I would recommend trying more of the Dysport first. Discuss your concerns with your practitioner who is certain to try to achieve a reasonable goal. I typically use about a total of 40-60 units of Dysport to achieve the arched look.