Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

Why after do botox it can not lie down?

Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

I think that in the present age of Botox the only prohibited action is rubbing the areas of injection.  This would cause the Botox to spread to other areas of the face.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

455 East Airport drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Botox dispersion when lying down

For many years, one of the "urban myths" of botox was that you should not lay down for fear of the botox passively traveling through the subcutaneous tissues (a process called dispersion)  and end up weakening a muscle that is functionally important. Botox used in the frown line area can drift in the tissues and come to reside on the "eyelid lifting muscle" causing a transient but displeasing droop of the upper lid. While never proven, "no lying down, no coughing, no straining" instructions ddhave been advised for decades of "after botox" instructions. Perhaps the most important instruction to give a after frown line botox is NO RUBBING, as this activity is most likely to result in dispersion. Be sure to always see a certified specialist after online advice.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

66 Avenue Road
Toronto, ON M5R 3N8

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use. I was involved in some of the early research and used to give this instruction to all my patients. Experience, however, has shown that lying down is fine, as long as you do not have any bruising.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

4425 Conlin Street
Metairie, LA 70006

Don't lie on your stomach for 4 hours after your Botox Cosmetic Treatment.

If you were to lie on your stomach with your face resting on your arm or pillow, you could shift the Botox into an undesireable location. There is no problem after 4 hours, and you could lie on your back if you like.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

1500 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052

Laying flat after botox

While there may be no direct evidence that botox is affected by the position of your body, it would be prudent to not press on those areas for at least several hours while the botox diffuses throughout the muscle that it was injected. If the diffusion of the product is too far from the intended site, you can end up with side effects like a droopy eyelid. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1361 13th Ave South
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Botox and lying down

Every patients I see asks me about this, but I think this is a fallacy. More importantly you should limit your exertional acitivity for a few hours after the injection to limit diffusion and unwanted bruising.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Can one lie down after Botox

Ever since Botox was discussed at conferences for cosmetic use, it was theorized that bending over or lying flat might make the Botox shift via gravity to other areas that we don't want to get affected. This has not been proven, nor studied as far as I'm aware. Most physicians tell their patients this recommendation to "play it safe" and mention from one to four hours as the guideline to follow the "rule."

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Not sure if this is true or not

The theory is that lying down might increase the risk of diffusion. This has never been proven, but none of us who inject a lot want to risk it, so the recommendation has become sort of an "urban myth".

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

145 Robert E. Lee Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70124

To lie or not to lie (down) after Botox: what's the deal?

There are a few reasons why this is advised but it is generally considered a "soft" recommendation. When you lay down the veins in your head and neck become engorged and cause more swelling which can effect diffusion of th Botox. In addition this may result in greater bruising soon after injection.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Botox post-injection instruction

I would not worry too much about lying down.  If however, you are planning to sleep and you sleep on your side and squish the sides of your face where you had injections, I might caution you to wait a few hours.  This might be akin  to you rubbing your area of injection. 

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388