Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

Why after do botox it can not lie down?

Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

+2

I think that in the present age of Botox the only prohibited action is rubbing the areas of injection.  This would cause the Botox to spread to other areas of the face.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botox dispersion when lying down

+2

For many years, one of the "urban myths" of botox was that you should not lay down for fear of the botox passively traveling through the subcutaneous tissues (a process called dispersion)  and end up weakening a muscle that is functionally important. Botox used in the frown line area can drift in the tissues and come to reside on the "eyelid lifting muscle" causing a transient but displeasing droop of the upper lid. While never proven, "no lying down, no coughing, no straining" instructions ddhave been advised for decades of "after botox" instructions. Perhaps the most important instruction to give a after frown line botox is NO RUBBING, as this activity is most likely to result in dispersion. Be sure to always see a certified specialist after online advice.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Recommendations after Botox treatments

+2

We agree that it is a recommendation although not based on any research.  In our practice, we encourage our patients to not lie flat for four hours and refrain from massaging the treated area and excercise during this time.  If these recommendations make for a possibly of a better outcome and experience, why not?

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use

+2

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use. I was involved in some of the early research and used to give this instruction to all my patients. Experience, however, has shown that lying down is fine, as long as you do not have any bruising.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't lie on your stomach for 4 hours after your Botox Cosmetic Treatment.

+2

If you were to lie on your stomach with your face resting on your arm or pillow, you could shift the Botox into an undesireable location. There is no problem after 4 hours, and you could lie on your back if you like.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laying flat after botox

+2

While there may be no direct evidence that botox is affected by the position of your body, it would be prudent to not press on those areas for at least several hours while the botox diffuses throughout the muscle that it was injected. If the diffusion of the product is too far from the intended site, you can end up with side effects like a droopy eyelid. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and lying down

+2

Every patients I see asks me about this, but I think this is a fallacy. More importantly you should limit your exertional acitivity for a few hours after the injection to limit diffusion and unwanted bruising.

Can one lie down after Botox

+2

Ever since Botox was discussed at conferences for cosmetic use, it was theorized that bending over or lying flat might make the Botox shift via gravity to other areas that we don't want to get affected. This has not been proven, nor studied as far as I'm aware. Most physicians tell their patients this recommendation to "play it safe" and mention from one to four hours as the guideline to follow the "rule."

Ronald Shelton, MD

Not sure if this is true or not

+2

The theory is that lying down might increase the risk of diffusion. This has never been proven, but none of us who inject a lot want to risk it, so the recommendation has become sort of an "urban myth".

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

To lie or not to lie (down) after Botox: what's the deal?

+2

There are a few reasons why this is advised but it is generally considered a "soft" recommendation. When you lay down the veins in your head and neck become engorged and cause more swelling which can effect diffusion of th Botox. In addition this may result in greater bruising soon after injection.