It's Been Two Months and I Still Have Large Milia After Eye Lift- Normal? (photo)

Two months after eye lift and I still have several large milia and the incision line is very red.

It's Been Two Months and I Still Have Large Milia After Eye Lift- Normal?

+2

IMHO, you should go back to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon or occuloplastic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery for evaluation and treatment.

Infections can rarely occur with blepharoplasties

+2

Yes, like every one has said, this is not normal........even 1 week after surgery it should not look like this. . Looks like a cellulitis. Probably needs antibiotics and possibly an incision ad drainage after a course of antibiotics if a pocket of pus apears. Definately needs medical care........see your surgeon.

PS: Thanks for the photo, it really helps us to help you.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Milia are common In eyelid incisions; Fraxel laser helps smooth scars

+2

Milia are common in eyelid incisions and can be treated by unroofing the milia with a tiny needle. Occasionally a small piece of skin is trapped below the surface of the incision causing a sebaceous cyst. The cyst(s) need to be removed.

In my practice, all patient incisions with upper blepharoplasty get 3-4 laser treatments with the Fraxel restore skin resurfacing laser. The FDA has shown that these treatments improve surgical scars.

I may also suggest a scar gel to incisions that are persistently red, if other causes of inflammation are not seen.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual eyelid scar healing after blepharoplasty

+2

What you have is NOT normal.  It looks like a granulomatous (inflammatory) reaction to either foreign body (such as ointment) or worse infection, specifically myobacterial.  It is important you talk to your surgeon and get second opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

? Milia

+2

The lump of your upper lid seems quite a bit larger than what one would expect from a milia and also rather late after an upper lid procedure. I think that it would be wise to visit your surgeon and get his/her opinion. The lump may have to be unroofed to allow egress of the contents something that can easily done with local infiltrative anesthesia. Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Reaction to buried sutures? low-grade infection?

+2

Two months is late for that amount of swellilng and redness. I would be concerned that your body is reacting to a buried stitch, or that you have some kind of low-grade, indolent infection such as atypical mycobacterium. Please follow up with your surgeon.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Two months after bleph

+2

From the photo submitted I would advise getting in to see your surgeon.  Are both upper eyelid this way or only one?  Milia are not uncommon after bleph but the amount of redness and the size of these are not expected.  There may be more to this than simple milia and infection should be ruled out.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Post Bleph inflammation

+2

It seems like your eyes are significantly more red than one would expect for 2 months post-op.  I would see your physician to determine if there is something else causing your discomfort. Milia are small white "bumps" on the skin and can be seen at your incision line. This may be present but cant be totally appreciated from your photo. 

Chronic inflammation can lead to darkening of the skin - post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation and this should be treated after you have determined the cause.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Post-Bleph milia

+2

If there is redness and inflammation 2 months after an upper Bleph.,  in my practice I would unroof and open the milia in the office with a small needle and make sure there is no retained suture causing the inflammation. That usually takes care of the milia derived inflammation within a week. I would also use topical steroids occasionally or possibly in combination with retin-A or hydroquinone to decrease the inflammation and reduce the dyspigmentation. You should definitely discuss this matter with your facial plastic surgeon and come up with a plan to manage this matter.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time

+2

Though it is unusual to have swelling and redness this late, it is definitely possible. Healing is a bell curve and you are just on the end where the people who take longer to heal are. I would check back with your oculoplastic surgeon and have them double check but this most likely will take some time. In terms of the "milia" I would give that time as well. 

In terms of eyelid surgery, most people are 90% back to normal in 10-14 days but not everyone. Some people will take 3 days, others will take 6 weeks. Some even 3 months...

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon