Is There a Treatment for Inverted Nipples?

What is the procedure was to correct inverted nipples? Is it a difficult or painful procedure? It doesn't really bother me but it does look weird and I'm a little self conscious about it.

Inverted nipple correction, and breastfeeding

+2
The technique based on a small incision,undercut of the ducts and a two cross absorbable stitches.There is no pain,and the recovery period is 10 days.Keep in mind that the majority of the women are unable to breastfeed so make your decision in time in terms if you wish to breastfeed your baby or no.In the first case postpone the surgery after you make your family.

Greece Plastic Surgeon

Fixing inverted nipples is an easy office procedure

+2

I usually make a small incision at the base of the nipple to release the fibers and ducts and allow the nipple to come out, then keep it out while it heals with a stitch that is taped to your breast skin for several days. The incision in closed with a couple tiny sutures and the scar is virtually invisible. The procedure takes about 10 minutes with a little local anesthesia. Although there is a risk of numbness and breast feeding impairment, I haven't seen this.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Surgical correction for inverted nipples

+2

The procedure to correct the inverted nipples in many cases can be done under local anesthesia, unless the patient is interested to combine the procedure with breast augmentation or breast lift and that requires a general anesthesia. Done under local anesthetic is almost pain free and allows patient immediately to go back to daily activities. The procedure itself is not very complicated, but requires the experience of the board certified plastic surgeon. It is important to follow always your surgeon instruction how to take care of the incision site.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Inverted Nipple

+2

The up side to this is that it can be corrected and it can be done in conjunction to other surgeries like breast augmentation and breast lift. It can also be done by itself in the office under local anesthesia. The procedure is not painful and works pretty well. One thing I would say is that you are certain and complete with any breast feeding now and in the future because the surgery does have the risk of cutting the ducts and you may and likely will not be able to breast feed, if you were able to in the past. I generally place internal bolsters after cutting the scar and tissue causing the retraction, so that there is nothing visible and nothing that will need to be removed aiding in the comfort of the procedure.

Make sure you have a board certified plastic surgeon review your options with you.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Treatment for Inverted Nipples

+2

Nipple inversion, where one or both nipples point inward instead of outward, is actually quite common and in most cases can be easily be corrected with a minimally invasive surgical procedure. I have corrected inverted nipples at the time of breast augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift) procedures, and also have preformed correction of nipple inversion alone as an office surgery under local anesthesia.

Most cases of nipple inversion occur during breast development, although on occasion the problem may arise due to scarring from breast feeding, from an infection in the ductal system, or from previous breast surgery. Inversion may occur on one or both sides. Correction of nipple inversion is usually performed to improve overall breast appearance but may also have a functional benefit in terms of assisting lactating women with breast feeding.

There are varying degrees of nipple inversion, and the degree of inversion generally dictates the kind of corrective procedure that is preformed. Some inverted nipples evert easily and tend to stay everted temporarily, while others are difficult to evert and tend to retract back to the inverted position almost immediately. In severe cases the nipple or nipples remain retracted cannot be reverted manually.

Some procedures used to correct the inversion preserve the milk ducts (and thus the ability to lactate), while other require that the ducts be divided which prevents later lactation. Milder cased of nipple inversion can usually be corrected by duct-preserving techniques, while more severe cases usually require complete division of the ducts. Any surgical procedure to correct nipple inversion can reduce nipple sensibility to some degree, and reduction of nipple sensation is more common with duct-dividing corrective procedures. I always strive to use the least invasive technique which is likely to provide a patient with a permanent correction, and in most cases patients regain most or all of their nipple sensation postoperatively.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Inversion Correction

+2

Surgical correction of inverted nipples should only be attempted when you are sure that you do not plan to breast feed any longer. The most common cause is a tethering of the ducts that attach your nipple inside to your breast tissue. The treatment involves dividing these through a small incision and then allowing healing with bolsters in your skin that keep your nipples everted. I try to keep my patients in the bolsters for 2-3 weeks. There is a risk of reoccurence and possibly decreased sensitivity but thankfully these are not common.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Nipple Inversion: Inverted Nipple Correction on one side or both

+2

Inverted nipples can form with varying severity and can be symmetric or assymetric. In most cases, it is due to a tight fibrous band below the nipple.

There are many simple methods of releasing the fibrous band with blunt dissection using one or two small, 0.5 cm incisions at the base of the nipple. Usually this will also require a suture to correct the inversion permanently.

Make sure you discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this technique and who understands the specific nerve supply to the nipple and the best ways to prevent damage to the sensory nerves.

Many patients have the condition and our experience has been very fruitful for our patients.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Inverted nipples: treatment under local anesthesia in the office

+1
Inverted nipples may be corrected by an office procedure performed under local anesthesia--and laughing gas at no extra charge, if desired.  A small incision (about 1/8 inch) is made adjacent to the nipple.  Fibrous bands that are tethering the nipple are released.  A pursestring suture (looks like a drawstring) is placed internally around the base of the nipple.  

There is very little postoperative pain.  Regular Tylenol is almost always sufficient. 

Ronald Friedman, MD

Correction of inverted nipples is a simple office/outpatient procedure

+1

Nipples can be inverted either from a lack of soft tissue support or from tethering. If the issue is simply a lack of soft tissue support, this can be corrected by tightening the base of your nipple with sutures, without affecting your ducts or ability to breast feed. If the problem is a result of scar tissue or tight ducts, these structures need to be released and nipple support established to prevent a recurrence. A good examination and consultation with your plastic surgeon will determine the best procedure for you.

Perry Liu, MD

nipple inversion

+1

Inverted nipples can cause functional problems for women and emotional concerns. An inverted nipple can look flat or a slit like depression or hole at the normal nipple location. There are different degrees of inverted nipples possible. Correction of inverted nipples depends on the problem.

Usually correction of the inverted nipples involve division  of the lactiferous (milk ducts). Risks  of the procedure include potential loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, recurrence of the asymmetry and the potential need for further surgery.

I hope this helps