Is There a Treatment for Inverted Nipples?

What is the procedure was to correct inverted nipples? Is it a difficult or painful procedure? It doesn't really bother me but it does look weird and I'm a little self conscious about it.

Inverted nipple correction, and breastfeeding

+3
The technique based on a small incision,undercut of the ducts and a two cross absorbable stitches.There is no pain,and the recovery period is 10 days.Keep in mind that the majority of the women are unable to breastfeed so make your decision in time in terms if you wish to breastfeed your baby or no.In the first case postpone the surgery after you make your family.

Greece Plastic Surgeon

Fixing inverted nipples is an easy office procedure

+2

I usually make a small incision at the base of the nipple to release the fibers and ducts and allow the nipple to come out, then keep it out while it heals with a stitch that is taped to your breast skin for several days. The incision in closed with a couple tiny sutures and the scar is virtually invisible. The procedure takes about 10 minutes with a little local anesthesia. Although there is a risk of numbness and breast feeding impairment, I haven't seen this.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Surgical correction for inverted nipples

+2

The procedure to correct the inverted nipples in many cases can be done under local anesthesia, unless the patient is interested to combine the procedure with breast augmentation or breast lift and that requires a general anesthesia. Done under local anesthetic is almost pain free and allows patient immediately to go back to daily activities. The procedure itself is not very complicated, but requires the experience of the board certified plastic surgeon. It is important to follow always your surgeon instruction how to take care of the incision site.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Inverted Nipple

+2

The up side to this is that it can be corrected and it can be done in conjunction to other surgeries like breast augmentation and breast lift. It can also be done by itself in the office under local anesthesia. The procedure is not painful and works pretty well. One thing I would say is that you are certain and complete with any breast feeding now and in the future because the surgery does have the risk of cutting the ducts and you may and likely will not be able to breast feed, if you were able to in the past. I generally place internal bolsters after cutting the scar and tissue causing the retraction, so that there is nothing visible and nothing that will need to be removed aiding in the comfort of the procedure.

Make sure you have a board certified plastic surgeon review your options with you.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Nipple Inversion Correction

+2

Surgical correction of inverted nipples should only be attempted when you are sure that you do not plan to breast feed any longer. The most common cause is a tethering of the ducts that attach your nipple inside to your breast tissue. The treatment involves dividing these through a small incision and then allowing healing with bolsters in your skin that keep your nipples everted. I try to keep my patients in the bolsters for 2-3 weeks. There is a risk of reoccurence and possibly decreased sensitivity but thankfully these are not common.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Nipple Inversion: Inverted Nipple Correction on one side or both

+2

Inverted nipples can form with varying severity and can be symmetric or assymetric. In most cases, it is due to a tight fibrous band below the nipple.

There are many simple methods of releasing the fibrous band with blunt dissection using one or two small, 0.5 cm incisions at the base of the nipple. Usually this will also require a suture to correct the inversion permanently.

Make sure you discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this technique and who understands the specific nerve supply to the nipple and the best ways to prevent damage to the sensory nerves.

Many patients have the condition and our experience has been very fruitful for our patients.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Inverted Nipple Correction

+1
Inverted nipples are created by tight breast duct tissue that has been shortened. Genetics, trauma and physiological changes to your body following pregnancy and lactation are factors that can contribute to development. The abnormality is not a risk to your health, although severe cases may increase your susceptibility to infection. During the surgery, incisions will be made in the nipple area to access tissue fibres that are responsible for the condition. These fibres are gently spread to release the nipple. To maintain protrusion, sutures are placed. A stent may be used to hold the nipple in place and help with recovery. Anesthesia will be administered. It may be local or general anesthesia. As the anesthesia wears off, you'll most likely feel sore following surgery. Discomfort may be alleviated with medication. If stents were placed, they will be removed in one to three days following surgery. Swelling and bruising are typical and will most likely last several weeks. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Inverted nipple repair

+1
It is common for me to perform repair of inverted nipples under local anesthesia.  Make sure that you see a surgeon who has extensive experience with the procedure.

David Stoker, MD

Inverted nipple repair

+1
There is a procedure to correct inverted nipples.  It is a fairly simple procedure, in experienced hands, performed under local anesthesia in the office.  It is not painful during the procedure because it is numb from the local anesthetic.  After the procedure the discomfort in mild and easily managed with oral medications. I preserve most of the milk ducts when doing the procedure, however there is still a risk that you may not be able to breast fed after the procedure.  Hope this helps and best of luck.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Inverted nipples: treatment under local anesthesia in the office

+1
Inverted nipples may be corrected by an office procedure performed under local anesthesia--and laughing gas at no extra charge, if desired.  A small incision (about 1/8 inch) is made adjacent to the nipple.  Fibrous bands that are tethering the nipple are released.  A pursestring suture (looks like a drawstring) is placed internally around the base of the nipple.  

There is very little postoperative pain.  Regular Tylenol is almost always sufficient. 

Ronald Friedman, MD