Is Radiesse Dangerous?

A doctor recommended Radiesse for my smile lines. I've read somewhere that since it doesn't dissolve naturally, you can be left with big lumps and bumps after treatment. Is this true?

Radiesse has a high safety profile in injected in the right tissue plane: Outcome of Radiesse

Radiesse is a collagen stimulatory product combined with a facial filler. It is safely used on the tissues of the face to restore facial harmony and counteract the effects of age related facial atrophy.

If care is taken to carefully inject Radiesse in the correct tissue plane, the risk profile is very low and the benefits are outstanding.

Radiesse can be very effective if injected properly

Radiesse can be very effective if injected properly. However, some injectors inject it way too superficial which makes it visible and/or palpable. Other injectors inject it way too deep which makes it less effective. One word of advice is that even though you are treating the smile lines, you should have the product injected into your cheeks as well, since this will inflate the cheek area and stretch out the smile lines. If you put too much product into the smile lines, you will get ridges or lumps along the smile lines where are very unnatural appearing.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Radiesse Concerns

Radiesse is an excellent filler if skillfully injected. It is a active filler, in that it stimulates collagen formation. The calcium crystals in it break down naturally after two years. It is one of the best volumizers, and cc per cc, when compared with hyaluronic acid has the best value.

Radiesse should be avoided under the eyes, in the tear trough, and in the lips.

Radiesse will be absorbed

Radiesse is a temporary filler and disappears with time but is best used for deeper volume enhancement such as in the cheeks or upper nasolabial folds.  I do not use it near the skin surface or around the mouth or lips.

Radiesse does go away

Radiesse does go away. If you develop an immune reaction called a granuloma, then a lump could form and persist. This is very rare and if it does occur, it can be extracted if injections of cortisone don’t help. Be sure that the Radiesse is only injected in the smile folds, not your lips. The lips might develop nodules if Radiesse were to be deposited there.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse injections

Radiesse will breakdown over time. This may take up to a year. However, like any injected product, the body may react to it in a way to produce granulomas or lumps. This is not common.

Radiesse not good for smile lines.

!)  In New York City, we only use Radiesse DEEPLY in the cheek bone area and in the chin.

2)  For more superficial lines, Juvederm and Restylane are much safer.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Radiesse is safe under certain conditions

Radiesse is extremely safe when the following conditions are met:

• It is prescribed by a properly qualified and trained doctor
  • It is injected in an appropriate medical setting by an experienced injector

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse, formerly known as Radiance

I don't believe Radiesse (Radiance) is dangerous, but is has been known to cause lumps and bumps and it has fallen out of favor. Radiesse is made of Calcoum Hydroxylapetite, a naturally occurring mineral that largely makes up bones and teeth in humans and animals. Synthetic Calcium Hydroxyl Apetite is a primary component of Radiesse® dermal filler.

When you think about it, a material that makes up bones might not rovide a soft, smooth natural looking and feeling result with no lumps or bumps. I prefer to use dermal fillers made from hyaluronic acid like Juvederm, Restylane or Prevelle. For permanent results, I use structural fat grafting.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse not dangerous if injected properly

Radiesse is not dangerous to have injected if injected properly by a trained injector preferably a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

It should be injected the appropriate depth and massaged to assure that the area injected is smooth.

I do not recommend injecting it in the glabellar area(between the eyebrows) although it is safe fro the nasolabial folds, cheeks, jaw line and to improve the contour of the nasal bridge.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is produced by injecting a filler such as Radiesse or Perlane into the nasal bridge to straighten the line of the nose and hide an unwanted bump on the nose.

Brenda Dintiman, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon