Radiesse Vs. Restylane

What is the difference between having Radiesse vs Restylane filler for nasolabial folds? Which is better? I've had it done with Juvederm but have read that the other two are longer lasting.

Which filler is best for nasolabial folds?

+6

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm Ultra Plus, Perlane and biostimulatory fillers like Radiesse and Sculptra work well for nasolabial folds. 

Of the hyaluronic acid fillers, Juvederm lasts longer than Restylane.  The larger, more robust particles of Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane work better in the nasolabial folds than the smaller, more delicate particles of Juvederm Ultra or Restylane.  The smaller particle fillers like Juvederm Ultra and Restylane work better for areas like the lips and fine wrinles that need filling.

Biostimulatory fillers like Radiesse and Sculptra are excellent for the nasolabial folds.  Part of their action is stimulating the skin's own production of collagen, which adds volume in that area. These fillers also last longer than the hyaluronic acid filliers.  However, the downside of these is the difficulty in removing them if there is an adverse reaction.

The most important factor are the qualification and experience of the doctor injecting these materials.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse probably lasts longer

+5

In the nasolabial folds, Restylane and Juvederm last about a similar length of time, with maybe a slight advantage to Restylane in my practice. Radiesse definitely lasts longer but because of its nature, needs to be injected deeper.

Please, for your sake, avoid any permanent fillers and Artefill. Over the years, I have seen patients with serious infectious problems from permanent products such as liquid silicone. Major granulomas and draining pustules have presented in Artefill patients as many as 8 years after the injection.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

What is better in the nasolabilal folds Radiesse or Restylane?

+4

Radiesse is better in this area because it lasts longer. Juvederm ultra plus is longer lasting than Restylane and would be my second choice.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse, Restylane and Juvederm all work well for nasolabial folds

+4

In my experience, all three of these products work beautifully for the nasolabial folds, also called the parentheses lines, extending between the edges of the nostrils and the corners of the mouth. The primary difference between them is that Restylane and Juvederm are have a shorter duration (~ 6-9 months) as compared with Radiesse, which can last up to 18 months or longer. I have not found a difference in duration between Restylane and Juvederm. The advantage of these hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers is that they can be dissolved with a simple injection of hyaluronidase in the unlikely event of a lump or asymmetry. Radiesse cannot be dissolved and is slightly more expensive at our center. I have not found a difference in the degree of bruising with any of these fillers. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for nasolabial folds and Juvederm for the lips

+4

I echo Dr. Raffy's comments and employ the same protocol in my offices - Radiesse for the nasolabial folds and Juvederm for the lips. Patients have been very happy and have immediate satisfaction and long term outcomes have been very satisfactory with this regimen. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Radiesse vs. Restylane: Facial Filler Choices for Nasolabial Folds

+4

Nasolabial augmentation with Restylane, Juvederm, or Radiesse is common. Patients have an increasing number of choices when it comes to the type of filler and the plane of injection.

In our practice, we exclusively employ Radiesse for the nasolabial folds and Juvederm for the lips. It is not to say that this is the only option available, but it is the choice that our office has made based on longterm patient satisfaction.

In discussing your options with a surgeon or dermatologist, ensure that your physician is familiar with all methods and types of facial fillers.

My patients will usually massage the area with Bruisestick after injection to minimize bruising and swelling.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Radiesse and Perlane last longer than restylane

+3

I prefer to use radiesse and perlane in the nasolabial folds especially if the folds are deeper. I find that both products can last 9 months to a year and produce beautiful results. Restylane and juvederm are good for layering on top in the very fine superficial lines. Once again, go to someone who is comfortable using different types of fillers and can assess what your particular needs are.

Brenda Dintiman, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

See a qualified physician to see what is best for you!

+3

There are several soft tissue fillers available treat the nasalabial folds, including Radiesse and Restylane. All soft tissue fillers have certain favorable properties and potential disadvantages.

I would recommend that you see a board qualified and experienced physician, preferably a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. He/she will determine what is best for you!

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Both are good.

+3

Radiesse and Restylane are both good for the nasolabial folds. Radiesse is going to cost more, but I would favor Radiesse for the nasolabial folds, given its longer duration - up to 1 year or longer. Incidentally, I would favor Juvederm over Restylane because Juvederm actually lasts longer (on average 9 months in the nasolabial folds) because of the cross-linking of hyaluronic acid molecules.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

I suggest Restylane

+3

Like many things in cosmetic surgery, different experts will give you different opinions. The set of answers here demonstrates that point. My suggestion is that Restylane or Juvederm is a better choice than Radiesse (even though there is certainly nothing bad about Radiesse).

Restylane (and other hyalauronic acid fillers like Juvederm) are a soft gel made in a laboratory but are a natural skin substance. I feel that Restylane tends to give a more soft and natural result in the naso-labial folds. Most important, Restylane is reversible. The doctor can give you a very small, safe, injection and dissolve any of the product if you have a result that is not ideal. For instance any filler can cause a small lump or be a little uneven. This can happen even if you go to the most experienced and skill doctor. With Radiesse you need to wait until the product goes away on its own. With Restylane it can be corrected in minutes.

I always tell my patients, I suggest what I would recommend to my family. My family gets Restylane and Juvederm.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon