Is Juvederm Safe?

I want to get Juvederm injections for the laugh lines around my mouth. Is Juvederm safe? What should I know about the safety of Juvederm?

Juvederm is a safe product

+2

Juvederm is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid that has a proven track record of safety. I've been using Juvederm successfully in my private practice for a few years, and my patients are very satisfied with their results. I suggest you set a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your options and concerns. Your physician should be well versed in the benefits AND potential complications associated with Juvederm. Best of luck!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is safe

+2

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler. Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of second layer of your skin, the dermis. It can actually hold 1000x it's own weight in water and is excellent at volumizing the skin. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, and Juvederm Ultra Plus have been used widely and safely for many years.

While skin and allergy reactions rarely occure, the most common complications are pain, brusing, asymmetry, and possible lumpiness or bluish tint if injected too superficially. A rare, but serious complication, is skin necrosis and ulceration due to injection into an arterial vessel. This complication is primarily due to injection technique and the area of injection. The area most prone to this is the area between the eyebrows (glabella area / "11" lines). Great caution must be excersized greatly in this area. Regarding the laugh lines specifically, this area is one of the most commonly injected areas and is widely considered safe to be injected.

While these reactions / complications are uncommon, these are the main issues that you have to consider when getting injected with Juvederm or any other hyaluronic acid filler. Please make sure to consult your physician thoroughly before doing your procedure.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Juvederm safety

+2

The safety profile of Juvederm is very high, especially for areas like the nasolabial folds (smile lines). It is used very widely. It is on of a class of hyaluronic acid fillers, which are in my opinion the safest of the temporary fillers.

Juvederm occasionally causes swelling or bruising in some patients. Your doctor can give you a complete list of potential complications from this filler. This can usually be avoided by certain techniques. Usually we advise first-time Juvederm patients not to have an important social engagement the night of the injection.

Juvederm is a bit like paint to an artist, so that each doctor administering Juvederm has their own "style".

Juvederm a very safe product

+2

Juvederm, like Restylane, is a dermal filler made of a natural compound called hyaluronic acid (HA). It is a versatile and safe filler, and because the percentage of allergic reactions is so low it does not require a skin test. In the rare event that the results are not what is desired, there is an enzyme that can be injected to dissolve it.

Juvederm safety

+1
Juvederm  is FDA approved and is quite safe when used in experienced hands. In our practice, it has a great
Safety profile is used for laugh lines, nasolabial folds and lip augmentation

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Is Juvederm Safe?

+1

Yes, Juvederm like the other fillers marketed here in the US have been proven safe and effective.  Juvederm or Perlane are the fillers of choice for us to fill in the nasolabial folds.  You can always go online and read all the safety information at the Juvederm web site.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Juvederm is Safe: Here's What to Watch For

+1

Yes, it's safe, as mentioned in many of these answers.  Juvederm is a gel made from a non-animal, cross-linked hyaluronic acid (HA), which is found naturally in your body, so in general, it's very safe for most people.

Who should NOT get Juvederm:

1)  Patients who have severe allergies.  This means you have a history of anaphylaxis or multiple SEVERE allergies.  Hay fever or mild allergies do not pose a problem.

2)  Patients with a history of allergies to Gram-positive bacterial proteins.

3) Juvederm XC formulations contain lidocaine, so therefore, should not be used in patients with a history of allergies to lidocaine.

4) Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or who are under 18 years of age.  This is not to say that it's necesssarily dangerous for them, however,  the safety for these groups simply hasn't been established in controlled clinical studies.

Who should be careful and/or cautious about getting Juvederm:

1) Patients who are taking medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, since they may experience increased bruising or bleeding at injection site. 

2) Patients on immunosuppressive therapy, since there may be an increased risk of infection.

3) Patients who have recently had any facial plastic surgery, lasers or chemical peels.

4) Patients history of excessive scarring (eg, hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders

If you don't fall into any of these categories, you should be fine, however, you should still be sure inform your physician before treatment about any and all medications, supplements and medical issues you have.  

Finally, one of the best precautions you can take as a consumer is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK and find a physician with the right credentials and a lot of experience with Juvederm.  True, you can probably save $100 by going to someone with little to no experience, however, that would be unwise.  You don't want to be the person someone new to Juvederm is learning on.  An experienced injector knows the nuances of working with Juvederm and the face, and those skills often make the difference between a beautiful and natural-looking result or an overdone, lumpy result.   

Dr. Yamini

Web reference: http://www.sunsetcosmeticsurgery.com/juvederm-los-angeles-safety.htm

Juvederm and safety

+1

Juverderm is a filler that is made of a substance that is naturally occuring in our own body. Like any other filler you want to be treated by an injector who is experienced in the use of the product and other fillers as well. Juvederm is a very soft and easy to use filler with a good safety record.

Juvederm is safe in the right hands and environment

+1

When prescribed by a properly qualified and trained doctor and injected in an appropriate medical setting, Juvederm dermal fillers have proven to be extremely safe.

Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon

Few in general, depends on the user

+1

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler that proven to be safe over the last few years. Like any other procedure it requires an informed consent explaining all the side effects that you might have from the injection.

From a manufacturer stand point, they talk about some mild and temporary effects including redness,swelling and firmness at the injection site.

I strongly believe that Juvederm potential side effects could be related to the user. Injection of a large amount in the wrong area will lead to dissatisfaction. A well qualified injector with good knowledge of the anatomy will minimize these side effects.

Web reference: http://laboutiquemedspa.com/face/dermal-fillers/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.