Is It Bad to Manually Peel Your Skin After a Chemical Peel?

I got a medium depth chemical peel about two days ago and my face was very dry and had thick patches of brown tough dead skin. The skin began to crack open so I began peeling off my skin, which exposed very pink fresh skin that bleed a little bit. Is this a bad thing??? I don't know if I should have peeled off the brown patches only two days after getting the peel???

Manually peeling skin after chemical peel

+1

I advise never to pick any loose or scabby skin, although if the skin is a bit flaky, then you can put on some moisturizing cream on your finger and gently rub the flaky skin off (not picking, and not scratching).

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Skincare after chemical peel

+1

I usually advise my patients not to pick at their skin following a chemical peel but rather replace that compulsion with frequent application of bland moisturizers (e.g. aveeno, cetaphil, cerave).  You otherwise place yourself at increased risk of scarring.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist