Best Chemical Peels for African American Skin?

I am African American and have dark blotchy areas on my face due to acne. What peels are recommended for African American skin?

Also, can chemical peels be used on other parts of the body such as the back?

Chemical peels for African-American skin

+2

I would only recommend light chemical peels such as salicylic acid 20% or Jessner solution, possibly 10% TCA. A series of these peels at 3-4 week intervals can improve acne as well as some of the pigmentation.

Certainly peeling agents can be applied on other parts of the body but again, only light peeling agents.

Even light peels can cause temporary pigmentary issues (usually darkening of skin) in ethnic skin. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Chemical peels for african american skin

+1
I find African American skin responds well to both glycolic and salicylic acid peels. One peel unfortunately is not enough to see optimal results. It takes about 4-6 peels to achieve best results and can even out discoloration and give a healthy glow to skin.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Best chemical peels for African American skin

+1

You have a number of excellent choices including salicylic acid, glycolic acid, Jessner's and Vi peels are all great choices. Make sure that you go to a qualified professional who is experienced in treating ethnic skin.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Light peels best

+1

Light chemical peeling with 10% TCA, 20-30% Salicylic acid, or 15-30% glycolic acid can be safely used, as can SilkPeel, a form of microdermabrasion. The peels should be done by a dermatologist very familiar with the pre- and post-peel protocols that will reduce the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Try ViPeel for peeling African American skin

+1

You may want to look into the ViPeel. It works well in people of color. Be careful to ensure that whomever you use or whatever peel you go with, that you have a competent person working on you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD