Does a Irregular Black Mole Always Mean Melanoma?

My mom has this small black irregular mole on the side of her hand. Don't know how long its been there. It's irregular black that fades into brown which is then curved inwards. Does a black irregular mole ALWAYS 100% mean its melanoma? I know all the ABCDE's and procedures to take it off but just super worried. We are going to go get it biopsied soon. Thank you.

Irregular Black Mole

+1

The simple answer is NO.  First of all, what you are calling a mole may not be a mole at all. It may be a seborrheic keratosis which many dermatologist refer to as "barnacles".  They can be dark and irregular but are not melanoma or pre melanoma. And secondly some normal moles appear somewhat irregular. But with all that being said, you cannot take any chances and you are doing the appropriate thing to see your dermatologist who will biopsy the lesion if there is any question 

Good luck!

Fort Myers Dermatologist

Irregular black mole

+1

The irregular black mole that you describe is certainly suggestive of a melanoma, but it could be a pre-melanoma.  It must be removed ASAP and sent for pathology for a definite diagnosis.  Good luck.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist