Removing Scabs After IPL

My face is still covered by very dark spots 2 days after IPL. I have a big presentation in 2 days. It is safe to remove half dried scab myself or scrub them ?

After IPL---DO NOT PICK

+2

Having more dark spots than you started with IPL is totally normal, especially after two days.  I can not emphasize enough the importance of NOT PICKING OR PEELING any of the dried, dark, crusty, peeling, flaking skin.  Removing this skin increases your chances of having more scabs and crusts that scar because they were removed prematurely.  You definitely need to take in to account that this is normal after treatment and be cognizant not to schedule important meetings or events the week of your treatment.  Check back with the office that did your treatment and maybe they can recommend a mild enzymatic cleanser that will help in the exfoliation process. 

Dr. Grant Stevens                  Marina del Rey, CA                Marina Plastic Surgery                   The Institute

No picking after IPL

+1

You must not pick the scabs after IPL.  It could result in infection or scarring and it will take longer for the areas to heal.  Wash very gently and keep the areas moist with Vaseline to help the scabs heal more quickly.  Avoid the sun afterwards.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Taking care of your skin after photofacial treatments

+1

DO NOT PICK AT ANY SCAB OR CRUST ON YOUR FACE after any facial treatment!  It could cause scarring or permanent discoloration.

You may gently wash the skin with whatever cleanser was recommended by your physician.  Or, here's a radical idea, why don't you call the office where you had the procedure done and see what they have to say?? They may ask you to come in, so their skin care specialist can assist with exfoliation. 

Carmen Kavali, MD