How Long to See Results After IPL Treatment?

I had IPL from my plastic surgeon the other day. Was my 1st of many more sessions to come. Question is,how long before I see side affects and/or any noticeable change whether it be a side affect or positive fading of the red area?

We Suggest Pulsed Dye Lasers for Redness

+1

While it's impossible to say how long it may be until you see results for your treatment, we'd like to suggest an alternative for quicker and better results.  The gold standard for facial redness treatments (Rosacea, Port Wine Stains, red acne scars) is something called a pulsed dye laser. 

We suggest considering this rather than IPL.  You may ask, why did my MD suggest the IPL.  The simple answer is that physicians do not want to buy 10 different lasers to treat different skin types and conditions.  It's cheaper to buy one.  The problem is the one (the IPL) doesn't work as well as the 10 it's trying to replace.  Our suggestion would be to find a practitioner that specializes in laser treatments and owns a pulsed dye laser (Cynosure V-Star, Candela V-Beam).

Results from IPL depends on the device and settings used

+1

There are many IPL devices on the market and different settings that can be chosen.  Depending on how good/powerful the device is and also the settings chosen, it could take 1 session to see results or 10!  It also depends on the problem being treated.  Some problems are very easily treated and you will see results quickly and other problems may be difficult or impossible to treat.  As for side effects, most of the side effects, some may be apparent right away, such as burns or crusting and others may come later, such as hyperpigmentation.  Hopefully you won't have any side effects but consult your physician if you do.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon