Is Eye Protection Necessary for an IPL Treatment?

I have been told that IPL is not a true laser. If eye protection is necessary, how can I be sure that it is applied properly and fits my eyes correctly?

Eye Protection for IPL Laser - A Must!

+1

Jenny, you are correct that IPL is not a true laser however eye protectin is part of the safety protocol. In my office we use opaque metal goggles. I also add a layer of gauze but that is more for comfort than safety. You maybe able to see the flashes of light but the goggles should protect you from the beam of light entering the pupil directly.

Toronto Dermatologist

Eye protection necessary for Intense Pulsed Light

+1

I am not aware of any scientific studies on this subject.

But Intense Pulsed Light is just that: A pulse of Intense light.

Retinal damage and lens damage, over the years, occurs in many elderly people from just exposure to natural light.

Although not proven scientifically, it is logical to assume that Intense Pulsed Light would greatly accelerate this process.

We peotect the eyes of the patient and of the operator when administering Intense Pulsed Light.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

You need eye protection

+1

You should wear eye  protection with use of IPL.  Intense pulse light (IPL) is not a laser treatment but it is very strong light  and may damage the eye. The eye protection should cover the whole eye .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Eye Protection for Lasers and Light sources

+1

I use eye protection for everyone when I use a light source near the eyes whether that source is IPL, lasers, etc. One can never be too safe. The eye protection should be such that when applied you do not see any light showing through and if you do see changes in light just let the treating person know and they can adjust it. Although the eye protection may not be clinically necessary, as you know from sun exposure, any bright flashes effect your vision, if momentarily.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon