Invisalign Tray 1 Lost on Day 2. Is It Ok to Advance to Tray 2?

I lost my top tray on Day 2 of the first set and my upper teeth are pretty straight to start with. The next tray fits ok with a little pressure on my two front teeth. Is it ok to advance to this tray? I had braces as a kid and my top teeth are still pretty straight.

You must wear each invisalign tray for 2 weeks

+2

each tray is specified for 2 weeks minimum for a reason. Skipping a tray will not be beneficial for your treatment. if you loose a tray call your dentist right away so a replacement can be ordered

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Not ok to skip a tray.

+2

Hi Dephazz06,

Sorry, I would not recommend you skip ahead in this case.  Rather, call your dentist and ask for a replacement.  It will delay the treatment a bit, but you will have a better result. 

If you move those teeth too quickly .. skipping aligners, you can damage the roots.

Best!

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Lost invisalign

+1

Considering it is your first tray, I think you will be ok by advancing to the aligner 2.  Consider wearing aligner 2 for 3 instead of 2 weeks and be prepared for some discomfort.  Take tyenol if needed.  Whatever you do, do not go without an aligner for more than 24hours. 

Michael Minars, DMD
Miami Orthodontist

Invisalign tray

+1

The best thing is to check with your doctor.

It is very easy to order a new tray. Usually the first tray lost is free.This is our office policy.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Lost invisalin tray

+1

The short answer, typically NO. If you loose any Invisalign tray the default action should be to go back to your previous tray, if you can ot reach your orthodontist.

A replacement tray for the lost one can be order over the phone and arrive at the office approx 5 working days.

By going back to your last tray you avoid prematurely exerting force on a tooth that was not in the correct position to receive it. If a pressure is applied too early to a tooth while in Invisalign that tooth can actually move in the wrong direction, adding time and often cost to treatment.

Sometimes, based on the orthodontist knowledge of the movement sequence, they may OK moving fwd in a tray. In general, if the tray is completely "flush" then a day or two early is not a big deal, I would never move through tray faster than 1.5 wk even if teeth are flush.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Skipping trays may be ok occasionally...

+1

This really depends and you need your orthodontist to evaluate the situation. Some practitioners give training aligners that allow patients to get used to aligners before attachments go on. During the training aligners, tooth movement is minimal. Regardless, if you skip one tray, wear the next one a week longer, you should be fine....

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Lost Aligner? I would have your Dentist order a Replacement tray.

+1

While its possible that you may be able to wear tray  # 2 while skipping the first tray I personally would not recommend that route for any of my patients. I would encourage you to have your dentist order you a replacement aligner even if it delays treatment completion. Your Dentist should be able to get you that Replacement Aligner in about a week.  Each tray provides you with specific and subtle movements that work best wearing them 20 to 22 hours a day for a period of two weeks. Although it may not happen in this example subjecting your Roots to movements that are too rapid may result in some Root blunting also known as Root Resorption. Either way it is always best to consult with your treating Dentist before making this type of decision on your own.

Howard Perlmutter, DMD
Paramus Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign aligners are designed to be worn for 2 weeks

+1

While the perception of very little is being done, or slight pressure, the reality is teeth will not track as planned when the aligners are not worn as planned.  It is best to contact your dentist, who will contact Align, and get a new aligner to start.

Ask me how I know.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

You cannot move to the next tray

+1

Unfortunately the trays are meant to be worn for two weeks at a time.  I would call your denitst immmediately and have them order a new tray for you.  It happens so make sure you use the blue trays to prevent it in the future

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Lost tray

+1

Sounds like you can get away with the next tray..just wear it an extra week just in case!

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist