Will Invisilign Widen my Smile Giving Me a Hollywood Smile, Even Though I Already Have Straight Teeth Due to Braces?

I had braces when I was in 5th grade and then got them off in 7th. I am now 18 years old and have straight teeth but I have a small mouth and a very small smile and wish it were bigger. I wish I had a broad "hollywood" smile. Also I feel that I was too young when I got my braces off and my smile should be bigger now that I am older. Is it possible to I have braces too young and would invisilign make my smile bigger?

Functional facial orthopedics can widen a smile considerably

+3

Functional facial orthopedics can widen an upper jaw considerably to give you that "Hollywood" smile.  Although traditional orthodontists will tell you that expansion of the upper jaw is not possible without surgery, I have done this on thousands of adults over the last 25 years.  My new book "Straight Talk about Crooked Teeth" should be out in about 3 months and goes into much detail about this type of treatment.  You may view several of my before and after cases on this site to see that we can routinely do this.  The key is to expand the upper and lower jaws prior to braces or Invisalign to get the maximum effect.  Traditional methods of using RPE (Rapid Palatal Expansion) do not work well, can cause untoward side effects, and are not stable.  Your biggest challenge will be to find a local orthodontist with experience in what I am talking about.  Most will just say it can't be done or it will not be stable, both being incorrect.  It is all about the technique.  You can have that full beautiful smile but finding the right orthodontist with the right experience will be your biggest challenge.  Good luck.

Denver Orthodontist

Wider smiles with Invisalign

+1

SHORT answer: you can get a wider appearing smile with Invisalign, but don't expect it to be dramatic.

LONG answer: Assuming you want no gaps, Invisalign can be used to broaden the back teeth area(usually the bicuspids and molars) several millimeters, resulting in more teeth showing in pictures. Align says you can realistically expect so get approximately 50% of the widening a clincheck shows. A clincheck is the prediction video the doctor gets before your trays are made. I would consider going through that process with a qualified Invisalign provider before deciding. Some will not even charge up to that point, except for maybe a small records fee.

There are others ways to "widen a smile" and not be visible. In general i agree with Dr Kent Lauson, above.

Functional dentofacial orthopedists have been widen upper and lower jaw considerably for decades to achieve that "Hollywood" smile. Only about 30% of orthodontists practice this way, unfortunately. And the topic style has many neh sayers.

Best advice, ask for case examples, have a couple of consults and use the info you gain to ask informed questions. AND don't give up on the smile you want.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

You need Veneers, not invisalign!

+1

Veneers are ideal for widening a smile.  Often individuals with narrow arch forms will appear to have "small smile" that can easily be remedied with Porcelain Veneers.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Will invisalign make straight teeth bigger?

+1

Hi Anirakzeravla,

Unfortunately the answer is no.  Invisalign alone will not give you a bigger smile, since your teeth are already straight.

You could consider Invisalign to spread out you teeth and then veneers placed after that. 

I'd advise you to see a competent cosmetic dentist in your area for a consult.

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

WILL Invisalign widen my smile

+1

Although some will tell you that it is possible to radically widen smiles with braces or Invisalign, this is usually a very unstable correction...especially for adults.  The width of the smile is determined by the underlying bone structure which can not be changed except with surgery as an adult.  Expanding the teeth leads to an unstable and usually unhealthly position of the teeth.  Only children with a normal width lower arch and narrow upper arch are really candidates for the treatment you are seeking...be careful if anyone promises you differently....get multiple opinions from a number of different orthodontists

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Hollywood smile , Broad smile.

+1

I wondered if you had to have any permanent teeth removed as part of your orthodontic treatment?  I would recommed that you see an orthodontist and ask him his opinion of your "arch form" and see if he feels it is too narrow or too "V" shaped.  Ask him if he feels Invisalign would be able to produce the change  you want or if braces would be better.  Ask if he can show you picutres of similar cases he has personally treated and what appliance was used to do it .  Be sure to look at photographs of similar cases he treated to be sure they are getting the changes in appearance that you want before you start.  If it doesn't look the way you want or they can't show you any pictures shop around till you are sure you have found someone that is able to produce exactly the result you are looking for.

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist

Invisalign to widen smile.

+1

You are really lucky to have straight teeth and to have had an opportunity to go through orthodontic treatment early in life.  Some orthodontic treatment is done too young,

if you find your smile is too narrow and there is room to expand your teeth, Invisalign may be used to widen your smile.  This must be done very carefully as not to loose the way your upper teeth and lower teeth come together.  There are other ways to expand your smile and may involve porcelain veneers or bonding to increase the size of the teeth.

Best to discuss with your dentist.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign

+1

Invisalign is posible to widen your smile.

However do not expect miracles.

Surgery is a better option but it is too agresive one.

If I were you,I would not touch the teeth if they are straight and healthy.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist