How Does Invisalign Correct an Overbite?

I am currently 27 years old. As a teenager I saw (fairly regularly) an orthodontist. At that time he recommended braces and headgear to straighten my teeth and correct an overbite. Fast forward to now. I was in my dentist's office and he said I was a candidate for Invisalign. How would it actually correct my overbite and fix the crowding?

Does Invisalign Correct an Overbite?

+1

Without a photo of your teeth is kind of hard to give a straight answer. Invisalign can correct overbite and crowding. It has some limitations, there so much you can do with Invisalign. Sometines an Orthodontist can do combination of both type of braces, and finish up with Invisalign. Most of the Orthodontist consultation are free, and it is worth going.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign correction of overbite

+1

Invisalign may be able to improve minor overbites, but if your overbite is significant, Invisalign may not be capable of correcting it.  If your canine, or "eye" teeth are in a "class II" bite (your orthodontist can determine if this is the case) braces may be an effective approach to correcting the bite.  Your best bet is to have a consultation with an orthodontist who has experience with both Invisalign and braces to determine what will best accomplish your goals.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign creates ideal arch form

+1

Often the overbite that patients are concerned about is fixed when the teeth are in ideal arch form.  This is assuming the overbite is minor.  More significant overbite often requires elastics (rubber bands) or other methods to advance the lower jaw.

Sometimes when deciding on treatment, an overbite is left "as is" and not fixed.  While this is a compromise in treatment, many patients feel it is an acceptable compromise and are willing to not address this. 

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

How does Invisalign correct an overbite!

+1

Invisalign corrects overbites and relieves crowding by moving your teeth into a more ideal arch. Obviously without seeing models &/or photos of your specific situation, it would be impossible to answer your question. You can ask your dentist to submit your case to Invisalign for a "Clin-Chek" preview of exactly what would be involved in your treatment. There would be a nominal fee for that service, as it's necessary to submit X-rays, impressions and photos. HOWEVER, you then have the option of actually going thru with the treatment, for a full fee, or declining treatment, for no additional fee. That is the only way to really answer ALL of your questions.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist