How Invasive is It to Down Size Existing Breast Implants?

I had breast augmentation on 3/12. I got a large size of 825 cc!!! I'm a 5'10' woman weight 175lbs. I feel that they are too large and they make look heavier than I am. Is the procedure too invasive to downsize? is it as much as the original price?

Downsizing breast implants is usually a straight forward surgical procedure

+2

Yuo have very large implants that were placed less than a year ago - assuming your skin is in good condition, removing your large implants and replacing with smalle devices should yield a good cosmetic result.

Concerns about Downsizing Breast Implants after Large Breast Augmentation?

+2

Generally speaking, downsizing breast implants tends to be in operation  associate with significant less discomfort and recovery time compared to initial breast outpatient surgery. This  is related to the fact that the breast implant pocket has already been dissected during the initial operation.

The questions that will need to be answered during direct consultation will be:
1. What breast implant size/profile will most likely achieve your size goals;  I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

2. Is the overlying skin/breast tissue elasticity sufficient to “bounce back”  over the smaller breast implants?

3. Do the breast implant pockets themselves need to be adjusted (internal suture repair) to appropriately accommodate the smaller breast implants?

You will need to ask your plastic surgeon about costs associated with the revision surgery.

Best wishes..

Downsizing implants

+2

Your surgeon can go through the same incision and exchange your implants for a smaller size. This will be less involved than your first surgery with a quicker recovery time. You will still need to pay for your new implants, anesthesia, and operating rooms fees, but these should be less than your original surgery as this will be a shorter operation. Your surgeon fees may also be less than your original operation. Ask your surgeon for an estimate.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

825 cc Implants Too Large?

+1

If the implants placed were too large, removal is a good idea.  Smaller implants will definitely give you fewer problems over time.  The sooner the implants are downsized the less of a chance of skin and tissue sag.  The cost is usually similar to the original.  Although the first surgeon may give you a break on the price.

850 cc implants

+1

850 cc implants are very large. Hard to say whether a downsize is reasonable without some sort of a lift.  Best to be seen in person for a proper evaluation.

Too large

+1

If you feel that you are too large, and look heavy - then yes, the answer is to downsize your implants.  It isn't any more invasive than any other kind of implant exchange.  If you have a lot of loose skin, or breast droop prior to your surgery, you might need a breast lift.  If your skin is in good shape, a simple implant exchange to a smaller size will likely be all that is needed - and this can be done through your original incision.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Revision breast augmentation

+1

What you mean by invasive? Do you mean painful? Do you mean technically difficult? Do you mean the need for general anesthesia? Do you mean costly?

Down sizing may be technically challenging or not, depending on the amount of change in the size of the implant desired and the current position of your implants.  It could be a quick 'switch out', or a lengthy resizing (sewing) of the pockets.  It is usually a much less uncomfortable recovery because the pocket has already been established, however, like primary breast augmentation, it should be performed in an accredited operating room under general anesthesia for all the same reasons.  Therefore, operating room and anesthesia costs should be the same or possibly more if it requires more time in the operating room.  How much you pay the original surgeon depends on the discretion of the surgeon, however most surgeons would probably at least have you pay for operating room, anesthesia, and implants costs.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Smaller implants

+1

having an implant exchange is generally a much less invasive procedure. Your down time is significantly less.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Downsizing breast implants

+1

In general, breast implant exchange is less costly and recovery is quicker than initial augmentation. The key is figure out which implant size is more suitable for you so hopefully you wouldn't want to switch size so quickly after initial surgery. Find a surgeon that you feel will listen to you and understanding your goal. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Hello

+1

Every practice is different when it comes to price. The removal and replace is a little more work so it takes longer. You should consider a breast lift if your downsizing dramatically.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS