Internal Sutures Popped? Exerting Pressure.

Hi there, post op week three,I tried to open a sliding glass door that unbeknownst to me was locked, I felt something very painful, like a seperation in my rectus abominus. I called my PO after a few days of extreme discomfort and was told to just rest and take it easy. After a weeks time I felt better, until..3 nights ago I was sleeping and experienced a horrible muscle cramp in my calf. My body immediately jerked up and I felt a pop, extremely swollen and my PO is still saying to just rest

Early out of tummy tuck surgery, the concern with your description would be, the potential for disruption of sutures that are holding the abdominal wall muscles together in the midline.  If enough disruption occurs, the result could be separation of the abdominal wall muscles and localized or complete, abdominal wall laxity ( similar to preoperative situation).

In general, it would take a significant amount of pressure to “tear" the muscle repair after tummy tuck surgery. This event would likely be associated with significant discomfort. A change in your physical examination, such as increased swelling, bleeding, a new onset "bulge" would also be likely.

Generally speaking, abdominal wall muscle plication performed during tummy tuck surgery is quite secure; disruption is very unusual.  You will be best off following up with your plastic surgeon who will be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Exertion causing possible pulled out internal sutures

You may have ripped your internal stitches from these exertional events. I would recommend that you insist on being seen for an examination by your surgeon to make sure you are healing properly and to determine whether you have developed any fluid collections

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon