Would Insurance Cover my Mole Removal by a Plastic Surgeon?

I have 5 moles on my face and 1 on my neck that get in the way when I'm shaving (they are flat, but my razor catches them sometimes). I was wondering if insurance would typically cover a removal of these moles, and could it be covered if a plastic surgeon did it (to minimize scarring risk)?

Mole removal

+1

Depending on the insurance carrier, it is possible to have the cost of mole removal covered by insurance.  Each insurance carrier has specific coverage.  I would encourage you to either contact your insurance company directly or have your physician's office look in to this for you.  

Insurance coverage for mole removal

+1

It is possible that medical insurance can cover the cost of removing moles, even if done by a plastic surgeon.  The decision would be up to your particular insurer.  Either you, or your physician, would need to contact your insurance carrier before your procedure to see if it would be deemed a covered expense.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon