Would Insurance Cover my Mole Removal by a Plastic Surgeon?

I have 5 moles on my face and 1 on my neck that get in the way when I'm shaving (they are flat, but my razor catches them sometimes). I was wondering if insurance would typically cover a removal of these moles, and could it be covered if a plastic surgeon did it (to minimize scarring risk)?

Would insurance cover my mole removal by a plastic surgeon?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Surgical procedures for aesthetic purposes, to improve appearance, are not covered by insurance. Typically, these as well as complications resulting from such procedures are the responsibility of the patient. Procedures that are meant to correct functional issues and those which cause health-related issues should be covered by your insurance as a medical necessity, with proper examination and documentation. Some insurance plans have exclusion criteria for certain procedures. Also, it is an obligation of the surgeon not to attempt to authorize purely cosmetic procedures through insurance.  Excision of suspicious lesions are often covered benefits.

Discuss your issues and complaints with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss these as well as to examine and assist you in deciding which procedure(s) will be the best for you. A discussion of the advantages and disadvantages will take place along with the risks and benefits. Insurance companies will vary on coverage and is always reasonable to discuss your issues with your surgeon and primary care. It would behoove you to get as much information as possible and even call your insurance yourself. Certainly, pay in advance prior to your surgical procedure and options such as financing are available if you qualify. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Mole removal

+1

Depending on the insurance carrier, it is possible to have the cost of mole removal covered by insurance.  Each insurance carrier has specific coverage.  I would encourage you to either contact your insurance company directly or have your physician's office look in to this for you.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Insurance coverage for mole removal

+1

It is possible that medical insurance can cover the cost of removing moles, even if done by a plastic surgeon.  The decision would be up to your particular insurer.  Either you, or your physician, would need to contact your insurance carrier before your procedure to see if it would be deemed a covered expense.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon