Mole Removed on Face Via Shave Excision - Slight Bump and Brownish Scar Left?

I recently (3/4 weeks ago) had a mole removed on my face - it was protruding and around 0.5cm in diameter. It was tested and was benign. The mark is still quite dark brown in colour (not shown so well by cam) and I am worried this will be permanent? I have had similar moles removed from other parts of my body & they left a red circle instead, which fades over time. This one is not red but brown. Will it fade or is this pigment? There is also still a small bump in the skin - what could this be?

Discoloration after mole removal

+1

If the mole was shave flat the discoloration you see could be remaining  bits of mole still deep in the skin (which would have to be excised to remove)  or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (which will likely faded0.  The bump is likely just an inflammatory reaction to recent surgery.  It will take several months to see what the area finally looks like so be patient.

Mole removal

+1

It may take several months and even up to one year for scars to have their final results.  I would encourage you to be patient during this time.  If the redness still persists it may be possible to treat with IPL laser.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Scar removal options after mole removal

+1

Scars will take their time in terms of final results.  If the scars bother you, I would begin treatment with Melaquin cream followed by pulsed dye laser for both scars to reduce the red tone.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS