Who Should I See for Injectable Fillers?

I'm a healthy and active 35 year old female with under eye hollows and puffiness. I'm apprehensive about surgery, so I'm considering either Juvederm or Restylane injections. In order to get the best results, should I see a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist?

Skin filler - Juvederm - Restylane - where to go?

+2

The real answer is to go to the doctor that will provide you the best result. If you set the "cost" as your determining factor, you may win or you may loose. Take a look at the listings about unhappy patients. Why do patients have "bad" results at least in their minds. A lot of possibilities.

For your treatment - Plastic surgeon... dermatologist... facial plastic surgeon...... ophthalmologist... gynecologist.... family doctor... clinic with a nurse providing the treatment... All can be very good or very bad as it relates to injecting a filler.

These products can be sold to many. You have to make the decision. In many ways,there is no wrong or guaranteed positive result with anything.

If your considering surgery vs an injectable filler to correct this problem, that limits the above options. The real answer to this question is not going through a web site but by spending time with the possible doctors that will be recommending the treatment options for you.

Spend the time / cost up front so that you feel confident about your decision.

+1

In order to obtain the best results ether a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist should be able to help  you.  You need to check however, to ensure that  they have had experience working with fillers in this area.  

The real question here is determining exactly what the problem and how is it best treated.  Since this may mean surgery I would suggest that you see a plastic surgeon. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Doctor for injectable fillers

+1

Hi!

I know you have heard that who does the injecting is much more important than what is being injected. Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons should be expert with fillers. But it is the individual that matters. Try to find a doctor who does a lot of fillers. Ask to see before and after pictures.

My web site has links to the societies, where you can get names near you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvaderm / Restylane / HA fillers for undereye hollows: Pick a quality professional

+1

Joonbug37:

We're glad you understand the importance of picking the right person to do your facial HA fillers, especially the area around the eye.

Your answer is not as simple as my recommending a Derm or Plastic Surgeon (even though I am a plastic surgeon). Some practices don't do hardly any cosmetic or aesthetic work - they're mostly reconstructive. You want one that does mainly aesthetic work. Some practices do plenty of fillers, but don't often do the lower eyelid hollows - you want experience. Some practices produce results you would be pleased with - and some produce results you might not like. See photos or talk to patients

You may need to interview a few physicians in your area in order to make an informed decision. Just like with Botox, it is the technique and placement that matter in the final result, not the number of units or cc's. Particularly not the lowest price per cc of filler. Pick a quality professional.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Either Dermatologists or Plastic Surgeons can do well for you

+1

This is one area that you should be careful selecting your doctor who has done these procedures a lot.

Lumpiness and bruising is common in this area however it is easy to correct should it happen.

Good luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane or Juvederm for correcting wrinkles

+1

You can see either a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist for both of these fillers. Just be sure you are comfortable with who you see and ask to look at before and after pictures. Price is important, but don't settle! Board certification is an important quality to consider as well. Shop around and see what fits you! Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Pick based on qualifications, not price

+1

As everyone mentioned, there are many different good injectors. The most important thing is to pick someone based on qualifications, not price. Injection in the area around the eyes does require more technique than some other areas such as the nasolabial folds. The nice thing about restylane or juvederm is that if you don't like the results, you can always have it dissolved with hyaluronidase.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have many options

+1

As the other providers have mentioned, there are many qualified medical practioners that can inject fillers safely and effectively. It is true that the eyelid area is much more unforgiving then the lips or nasolabial folds. You really want someone who has done a lot of these injections. The nice thing about injections is that if you don't like your result you can generally use hyaluronidase to get rid of the filler. The bad part of course is that it is temporary. Based on your age (35 being young), I'm guessing that you do not have a lot of redundant skin nor severe cheek fat pad ptosis, but are plagued with "bags" under your eyes. In this situation with a normal cheek fat pad position, while fillers can camoflauge these "bags" a simple transconjunctival blepharoplasty (inside the eyelid), maybe a permanent solution. It all depends on your individual situation. Good luck to you

Samson Lee, MD

Lower eyelid bags and fillers

+1

You truly need to see a plastic surgeon, but this is the reason. One, we are the experts in this field. Two, if you see a dermatologist, you will get the injection because that is all he or she could do. What I mean is that if you see a plastic surgeon you will be analyzed and given an honest opinion what fillers would do for you vs. surgery. The plastic surgeon may also tell you that what you are looking for is not achievable with fillers and that you may need surgery instead. You will not hear this from physician who dont offer surgery. Just my 0.02

Farbod Esmailian, MD

An unforgiving area

+1

Joonbug,

The lower eyelid hollows are a relatively unforgiving area for injectable fillers. There are many specialists that may be competent to provide the injections, including plastic surgeons, dermatologists, facial plastic surgeons and oculoplastic surgeons. Make sure that whoever you choose is board certified or board eligible and experienced with injection in the eye area. Expect bruising and swelling. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD