Infected incision behind ear? (photo)

two weeks post op facelift and neck lift. Is it possible I may have a mild infection in this incision, and will washing with hibiclens and applying neosporin help? I have another appointment with my PS next week.

Post ear wound separation

+1
This area behind the ear is a prime spot for wound separation because of higher tension.  I think you have this separation and not an infection.  Hibiclens and neosporin are just fine.  The area weill heal.  My Best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Red incison behind ear

+1
This area is a high tension area during a face lift and because of this the wound may have separated a bit. It is red because the inflammatory reaction that is helping to mend the tissues is working overtime. It does not look like you have any surround cellulitis or frank infection. You should see your plastic surgeon, but I would guess that he/she will tell you that it looks ok and will heal up just fine on its own. You should keep it clean with soap and water and perhaps apply bacitracin ointment. Have your surgeon make sure that you are not having any reaction to sutures.

I think that this will heal up just fine. It is important that you see your surgeon a bit more frequently so that it continues to go in the right direction and the redness doesn't worsen....which would in that case certainly make you worry about infection.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven General Surgeon

Open wound behind the ear after facelift is not infection.

+1
The incision behind the ear appears to be open and not really infected. This is something that should be brought to the attention of your plastic surgeon. He will instruct you in management until the problem resolved.

Consider adding an oral antibiotic as well

+1
These small areas behind the ear rarely but can have healing issues. Often because of the tension placed behind the ear. I would consider your treatment along with an oral antibiotic. It seems contrary but the chin up position will reduce the amount of tension behind the ear. Best of luck to you. 

Henry Mentz, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected incision behind ear?

+1
Contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for an exam.  You may have a reaction to sutures.The ointment could make the area worse.  While in the shower, clean the area at least twice daily with a mild soap.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

It looks like you have some inflammation around the scar after your facelift.

+1
It does not look infected, but that is difficult to judge from a photo. It may just be some inflammation in the scar as it is healing, with slow healing.  You should ask to see your  PS this week as they can help you get this healing better.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Always contact your surgeon with concerns of infection

+1
If you are concerned about anything, it is always best to contact your surgeon or surgeon's representative (nurse, assistant) as soon as possible.  Although you may not have an infection, if you do, catching it early on is of great importance and will allow your surgeon to manage it quickly and effectively. 

Trang Vo-Nguyen, MD
Palm Springs Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection behind ear after face lift

+1
  • The picture suggests you have delayed healing, perhaps a suture reaction behind your ear,
  • it does not look like infection,
  • hibiclens and any ointment are likely to make it worse,
  • call your Plastic Surgeon to be seen earlier,
  • In   the meantime, clean it gently with water and cover with a moist gauze twice a day. Dry skin takes longer to heal.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facekift infection

+1
Fortunately acelift infections usually rapidily. On review of your photo occasionally the neosporin can cause an allergic redeness that looks worse. Swithcing to dilute betdine would fix that.

Mark Prysi, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Infection after a facelift

+1
Infection after a facelift
It is extremely uncommon to develop an infection after a facelift. From your photo it appears that you have some superficial desquamation, mild skin loss. This should heal uneventfully. See your plastic surgeon for proper care.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon