Is this a seroma, hematoma or just regular swelling due to the stitches? What should I do about it? (Photo)

I am 18 and had gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks before. Is this seroma, hematoma or just regular swelling due to the stitches? What should I do about it?

Seroma or swelling?

+3

Hello and thanks for the questions and photographs.

It is difficult to make an accurate comment with only one photo and no preoperative views.  I think the wound looks a little red at the moment which is normal for this period of time post operative.

If it is a seroma then it will move around and you may hear a splash as you move and it will continue to get larger.  If it is a haematoma then it will get small er with time and start to bruise over the skin.  It may also get quite tender as the swelling increases.

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon and have it seen to get a more accurate answer.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Seroma or Swelling

+2

Making a diagnosis of postoperative infection, seroma, or hematoma is best made in-person by your operating surgeon.  I encourage you to see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Here are a few basic guidelines. If you have fluid that moves like a wave under the skin, you may have a seroma. If you have a hard painful swelling with some overlying bruising, you may have a hematoma. Redness, swelling, drainage, and fever are signs of infection.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Seroma after a gynecomastia surgery

+2

If you feel fluid swishing about under your skin then this is a seroma and will need to be needle aspirated.

Seroma or swelling

+1

It's really hard to tell from the photo but it just looks like some swelling. Usually a seroma would be more full and rounded and act like a water bed effect. It looks like you are getting a crease so you might want to check with your surgeon on ways to reduce it.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Sonogram will detect seroma after gynecomastia surgery.

+1

Hi.

You should get a sonogram.  Seroma needs to be aspirated.  I am also worried about all the redness which is not normal at three weeks and suggests an infection.  See your surgeon!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Seroma vs. swelling after gynecomastia

+1

Usually if the surgery was jsut performed and you had a direct excision, if you feel fluid it may represent blood. If you had lipsuction it may be fluid. Best to be seen in person.