Will my Implants Appear Smaller Once Swelling Reduces?

I just got 450cc silicone breast implants under the muscle. It's only been one week since my surgery but they look HUGE.

I'm 5'6, 125 lbs. Now that I have them and they are enormous I'm afraid that maybe I went with too large of an implant. I know that they should appear smaller once the swelling has gone down and once they drop but how much smaller can they actually get?

If it's not a dramatic difference then I'm afraid that I went too large. Please tell me they will go way down. Pic attached.

Swelling and Breast Appearance

+1
It is normal to have swelling and tightness post breast augmentation. Swelling will impede your ability to fully assess the shape and size of your breasts. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

Swelling

+1
Thanks for the question, I find implants look about 30% larger the first month than they will ultimately end up so fear not

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Swelling Can Make Your Breasts Look Bigger

+1
It is difficult to say by how much your breasts will appear smaller, as swelling can make your results look larger than they should. However as swelling subsides and your breasts drop, they'll certainly look more natural. It typically takes about 3 to 4 months until your breasts settle. By that time the bottom portion of your breasts will fill out becoming more natural in appearance. This phenomenon is called drop and fluff.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

It is very normal to have swelling after breast augmentation.

+1
Dear Sunshine, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Breast tenderness and hardness can also remain due to the swelling. the breasts should become much softer once the swelling is mostly gone. Also, it should be said that amount of swelling can vary from patient to patient. Some patients swelling a large amount, some very little. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Can you put updated pictures? But i think your surgeon has done a very good job and you will love your results once all the swelling has done down . 

Thank you for your question . 

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Large breast implants and swelling

+1

Your post op result looks normal for 1 week. Swelling following a breast enlargement is normal and will last from a few weeks to a few months. There is not much you can do to make it go down any faster. I am sure that once the swelling resolves, you will be happy with your size. If you still think you are too big, wait 3-6 months for complete healing and final position before deciding to have another surgery.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Implants huge

+1

Hi,

You are very new in the surgical post op period.  The muscle is pushing the implants upwardly and the muscles need to relax to allow the implants to drop.

This will take place but wait for at least 3 months to make a judgement because the implants will come down and the swelling will decrease.

Be patient and discuss this with your doctor.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

+1

At your stage recovery is very common for patients to be concerned about their results (being too big or too small).  Often after a period of 3 to 6 months those same patients are quite pleased with the results of their surgery.

For patients planning on breast augmentation surgery...it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Buyer's remorse?

+1

Sunshine42: Please be patient, follow your PS's post-op protocol and realize that once the overlying breast flap (skin & tissue) + muscle relax, your result will be softer, mobile and prettier.  I usually forecast approximately 7-10% shrinkage, but remember that silicone gels require slightly longer than saline implants to settle.  Your photo shows implants, which fill your chest, provide a soft round "cleavage" and do not protrude excessively off your rib cage.  I would guess that you had relatively tight skin beforehand, (i.e not prestretched by pregnancy/lactation or weight fluctuations).  What size did you discuss with your PS, pre-op?  In the event that you decided to downsize, wait at least 3-6 months before proceeding, in order to minimize wound healing issues.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Huge Implants

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is hard to give specific advice.  However, you are immediately post op and you should expect to see changes over the next few months.  As the tissues settle and the swelling resolves and you get used to your implants, you may find that they are a good size.  If not, you should wait several months before considering any type of revision surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD