Will my Implants Appear Smaller Once Swelling Reduces?

I just got 450cc silicone breast implants under the muscle. It's only been one week since my surgery but they look HUGE.

I'm 5'6, 125 lbs. Now that I have them and they are enormous I'm afraid that maybe I went with too large of an implant. I know that they should appear smaller once the swelling has gone down and once they drop but how much smaller can they actually get?

If it's not a dramatic difference then I'm afraid that I went too large. Please tell me they will go way down. Pic attached.

Need to wait at least a month. May need to have them replaced.

Are they saline or silicone gel?  If they are saline, you need to know the final fill volume.  Was that 450 cc?  Saline implants are routinely filled over the amount printed on the implant.  You do look large, even for 450 cc implants, although I don't know what size you were to start with.

Regardless, you need to wait a month, minimum.  The implants will settle and not look as big.  It takes about a month for the swelling to do down.  Frequently I have had patients who are worried that they are too big at one week, but at one month, they are just fine and like the size.

Obviously, there is a cost in changing out your implants to a smaller size.  Most surgeons give a modest discount for doing this.  But it's very unusual.  I've had only one patient elect to have her implants replaced with a smaller size in the last 5 years, and the average implant size in my practice is 400cc.  Almost all patients who change size seem to go bigger.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question, I find implants look about 30% larger the first month than they will ultimately end up so fear not

Swelling Can Make Your Breasts Look Bigger

It is difficult to say by how much your breasts will appear smaller, as swelling can make your results look larger than they should. However as swelling subsides and your breasts drop, they'll certainly look more natural. It typically takes about 3 to 4 months until your breasts settle. By that time the bottom portion of your breasts will fill out becoming more natural in appearance. This phenomenon is called drop and fluff.

Large breast implants and swelling

Your post op result looks normal for 1 week. Swelling following a breast enlargement is normal and will last from a few weeks to a few months. There is not much you can do to make it go down any faster. I am sure that once the swelling resolves, you will be happy with your size. If you still think you are too big, wait 3-6 months for complete healing and final position before deciding to have another surgery.

Swelling and breast size

Thank you for your question. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. After the swelling goes down the breasts will appear smaller. However, as the implants settle, it may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Swelling after breast implants.

Yes, you are still swollen. This swelling may persist for a few weeks. Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well. This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone. They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks. It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position. Do not run out and buy a bunch of new bras anytime soon.  Let your board certified plastic surgeon know your thoughts.  They will help you through the process.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Residual Swelling May Last 3-4 Months

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate postoperative period.This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks.Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in about four to six weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.
Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling.Swelling can add to a patient’s postoperative discomfort.It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate postoperative period.
It’s not unusual for patients to express concern about breast size following breast augmentation surgery.In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger than they will ultimately end up.As swelling resolves, patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority are ultimately happy with their size.
For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication following surgery.In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery.There’s a good chance that you will end up happy with your breast size.

Will my Implants Appear Smaller Once Swelling Reduces

Thank you for submitting your question. Your very early in the recovery phase. The swelling will go down in in the next few weeks. Many times swelling is asymmetrical and implants will drop at different rates. Your breasts will change and soften during that time. Give it time and discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes

It is very normal to have swelling after breast augmentation.

Dear Sunshine, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Breast tenderness and hardness can also remain due to the swelling. the breasts should become much softer once the swelling is mostly gone. Also, it should be said that amount of swelling can vary from patient to patient. Some patients swelling a large amount, some very little. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implants huge

You are very new in the surgical post op period.  The muscle is pushing the implants upwardly and the muscles need to relax to allow the implants to drop.

This will take place but wait for at least 3 months to make a judgement because the implants will come down and the swelling will decrease.

Be patient and discuss this with your doctor.