How Do I Know if Breast Implants Are Actually Under the Muscle?

I had my surgies a lil over a year ago, my paper work got messed up & I got saline instead of silicone I paid for & was told they were put under the muscle, but I wonder if they are not. I can feel them, is there any way to tell? Also sometimes I have random pains in my breasts, kindy dull achey pains.

Implant position

+1

It is not uncommon for a patient who has had breast implants to have occasional discomfort in the breast. That does not suggest to me necessarily that you have a problem with your implants. If you place your hands on your hips and push in, you will see your implants move laterally if they are placed under the muscle.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Flex your pectoralis muscle to see if your breast implants are under or over the muscle

+1

Thank you for your question. If breast implants are placed beneath the chest muscle, the pectoralis muscle, then if you flex your pectoralis muscle you should see the muscle squeezed and displace or push the implant down and out.tummy Tuck splash starting at 3 in the morning

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

Put your hands on your hips and push down hard. This will contract your muscle. If your implants are under the muscle most likely the implants will up and out with this maneuver. If you have any more questions, check out the video below.

+1

Regarding: "How Do I Know if Breast Implants Are Actually Under the Muscle?
I had my surgies a lil over a year ago, my paper work got messed up & I got saline instead of silicone I paid for & was told they were put under the muscle, but I wonder if they are not. I can feel them, is there any way to tell? Also sometimes I have random pains in my breasts, kindy dull achey pains
."

Very unfortunate and atypical. Most members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons are ethical individuals and it is painful to hear stories such as yours. Was your surgeon a member of this society?

It is important that you obtain ALL paperwork associated with your surgery for future reference. Once these implants deflate, both Mentor and Allergan / Natrelle implants carry a life time replacement policy but your new Plastic surgeon would need to know which company to approach for your free implants.

As regards the under VS the Over the muscle placement, stand in front of a mirror with your hand over one breast and flex the chest muscles. If the implants move up and you feel it , the implants are UNDER the muscle. If they more or less stay the same they are over the muscle.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Under the muscle?

+1

Implants udner the muscle may move up as you flex the pectoralis msucle otherwise, an ultrasound or MRI will give you the answer.

Telling if the implants are under the muscle

+1

Your story sounds unusual and unfortunate.  No wonder you have trust issues with your doctor.  If you press your palms together and the implants move up and out, they are probably under the muscle.  Otherwise an ultrasound exam can tell.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implants Under the Muscle?

+1

Sometimes, the only way to truly know is by actually going in surgically.  Some women are able to flex their pectoralis muscles a fair amount, and can actually cause their implants to pull out to the sides a little with extreme flexion.  However, this is not always a guarantee, since some women cannot actively flex their pec muscles no matter what they do. Here is something you could try to see -  If you sit down on the floor, put your palms flat on the floor, and then push yourself up with your hands until your butt is off the ground - if at that strongest flex point you see your breasts move at all, then that usually means they are under the muscle.  If they do not move, then either they are on top of the muscle or your pec is just not strong enough to distort the implant.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon