How Soon Can I Have a Revision Surgery After Breast Implants?

i just got 550cc implants and i hate them! im 5'7 140 pounds my band size is 36. How soon can i get them redone?

Wait a few months before revision breast augmentation

+1
You should wait at least four months to six months before considering a revision, as it usually takes this long for your breasts to settle. However, if you recovery rate is slow, then you should wait a little longer.

Weight 3-6 months for revision of breast implant surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  In my practice I recommend waiting 3-6 months before revising, removing or changing breast implants after breast augmentation.  Of course you should follow the advice of the plastic surgeon who did your breast augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

How Soon Can I Have a Revision Surgery After Breast Implants? I would advise waiting at least 3-6 months.

Dissatisfaction with implants

+1

It depends on why you are dissatisfied.  At the very least, it will take a few weeks for the tissue swelling to improve enought to allow revision. Discuss this very carefully with your plastic surgeon.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Breast augmentation revisions

+1

The essence of good plastic surgery, particularly for cosmetic plastic surgery, is knowing what is going to be done and what the result should be from that procedure. If the procedure is done properly, the way it was agreed upon, then there is a period of of healing and several weeks to months for tissue recovery and final results. Generally I require three months for full tissue recovery after breast augmentation but longer periods are sometimes a good idea depending on the issue. Attitude about the results is much more difficult to assess or control. 

Then there is the issue of what is a revision and what is dissatisfaction with the outcome and a desire to change or undo it. If you had a tattoo and it was done exactly as you had specified but you then decided you didn't like it or wanted it gone, that wouldn't be a revision. If a patient healed properly from her breast augmentation and decides that she doesn't like the size or type of the implant she can choose to change it but that wouldn't be a revision, it would be a patient choice just like choosing to do the procedure the first time. What is to be done and what that would do (or change) are just as important.

The problem in breast augmentation is that there is no good way to measure the size of the breast before or after the procedure and no good way to show the patient what the result will look like on her. Additionally, there are many surgeons doing breast augmentation who, in my opinion, don't know how to size implants in a consistent manner and even change the size or type of implant during the procedure. This makes it hard for the patient to feel she got the result she was expecting. 

Nevertheless, revisions are to attempt to correct something that didn't heal the way it was supposed to or expected to and changes of breast implant size or type is a choice after the tissues have had a chance to fully recover from the first procedure. I call this a "replacement augmentation" or "reaumentation" rather than a revision. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant revision with removal

+1

This is something you should share with your primary surgeon. All of us see patients who come from elsewhere for a revision, but from time to time our own patients need attention. If it is a size and shape issue, there may be charge sand a surgeon's fee to re-do things, downsize,  even up size. The most athletic patients such as runners and swimmers have the toughest time with large augmentations at first, but in time things settle down. 

The implant size is not relevant to a point.  I just placed 540cc in a patient who is 6 feet tall and there was dramatic improvement althought she went from A to D, but with here broad shoulders it fit nicely.  If you are athletic at 5'7" tall, im sure you did participate in the size choice. It just may be too compelling a change for you.  Also, the breasts may look tight and full for the first 4 to 6 weeks.  Really share this with your surgeon, keep him or her in the loop. 

Donn Hickman, MD

Augmentation revisions

+1

Hopefully you were part of the decision process of what size to select as most who are involved are quite delighted with their results.

If you feel your results do not meet your expectations, you really have to determine what is not right about them.  If too large, you can have them removed or deflated if saline and my preference is to return a few months later after you have healed so the pocket can be customized for your new implant.  If you are too small than what you desired, I would counsel you on waiting until you have had time to adjust to your new look as many brassieres can add a cup or 2 quite easily.   If its something else, then you would have to be more specific about your dissatisfaction before a plan can be created.

You will find many alternatives to approaching your problem and more than one way may be right.  Good luck on achieving what your wanted.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast implant revision

+1

Not sure exactly what you want?  Are you unhappy because they are too big?  or too small?  If they are too small, revision should wait a few months(3-4 minimum).  If they are too larger, you may want to have it done sooner if you just wnat them removed or smaller.

We don't use breast implants larger than 500cc's, and that rarely.

+1

Hi.

I am sure you are much too big.  A revision breast augmentation can be done anytime.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

When is breast revision the best choice

+1

I'm sorry you are not happy with your breast surgery results. As you can see by the other plastic surgeon's responses, it is best to allow some healing to occur before making a change. I can't tell if you feel as though you are too large or what it is you don't like about your results. The most appropriate thing to do is to meet with your plastic surgeron and discuss your concerns and review what your options are.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS