Why Does Exercise Cause Botox to Wear Off Faster?

Why Does Ibotox Wear off Faster if You Are More Active (Gym)?

Botox and Exercise

+2

Exercise does not cause Botox to wear off faster. I ask my patients not to perform vigorous activity after Botox or Dysport injections to avoid dispersion of the substance into unwanted areas. From El Paso. 

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Exercise

+1

As far as I know, there are no published studies to support the notion that exercise has an adverse effect on botox duration.  

Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Information

+1

There is no viable evidence to suggest that Botox wears off faster in patients who lead a more active
lifestyle. As with any other procedure, however, it is advisable that a recovering patient allow 6 hours
healing time before resuming physical training. There have been no scientific studies proving that
exercise deteriorates Botox treatments.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-botox-dysport/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Does botulinum (Dysport and Botox) wear off sooner in muscles that are more active

+1

I am not certain if this is a widely held belief but it does appear that the botulinum effect does dissipate faster in areas of increased muscle activity such as around the eyelid muscles.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/skin-procedures-chicago/injectables/botox/

Botox and exercise

+1

There are no proven studies that show any effect exercise has on the duration of Botox or other neurotoxins effects.  While there some patients who exercise vigorously and find there results do not last as long, there are no studies to support this.  There are also patients who do not exercise at all and find there results are not long lasting.  It probably comes down to individuals metabolize the neurotoxin at different rates.

Annapolis Dermatologist

Botox Effect Wearing Off faster has NOTHING to do with Exercise

+1

Regarding: "Why Does Exercise Cause Botox to Wear Off Faster?  Why Does Ibotox Wear off Faster if You Are More Active (Gym)?"

The muscle blocking effect of Botox is NOT affected in any way by exercise, by warmth or any other factors. Once a sufficient dose of active Botox reaches the muscle it blocks nerve activation of the muscle for 4-5 months causing smoothing of the overlying wrinkles. Shorter periods of Botox action are related to using an insufficient dose of active Botox (due to miscalculation, use of older partially deactivated Botox or use of overly dilute Botox).

Dr. Peter Aldea

Exercise does not alter duration of botox!

+1

Exercise has no  effect on botox duration.  Many physicians believe compression may dispense botox into adjacent areas.

Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Botox and exercise

+1

There is no correlation between duration of effect of botox and exercise. Botox typically lasts 3-4 months regardless of excercise or not.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise doesn't make Botox injections wear off more quickly.

+1

I am not aware that exercise will make Botox wear off more quickly. We ask our patients not to exercise immediately after the Botox is injected to minimize bruising and potential shifting of the product in the first several hours.

It's unclear why strenuous exercise may hasten the elimination of Botox in certain people.

+1

I have had several anecdotal cases of Botox wearing off sooner than expected in patients that perform excessive, vigorous exercise. One example that comes to mind is an aerobics instructor and her mother. I injected both of them the same day with the same vial: 50units to each patient. The aerobics instructor's Botox started losing significant effect in 6 weeks, but her mom's Botox-effect lasted the expected duration.

Fortunately this has not been a common occurrence, and I'm not sure why it may occur.

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/PageID/4248

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon