I Have Multiple Lipomas on my Thighs and Hips. They Are All Very Tender to the Touch, but a Couple in Particular on my Right?

thigh above my knee are very painful. I get burning pain and numbness in the area. Should I see a physician and get them all removed at once under a general anesthesia?

Both Options Reasonable

+1

Lipomas are typically removal if they are uncomfortable or in a visible location. Some patients worry about a growing mass on their bodies.  Fortunately, lipomas are a benign condition. Removal is fairly straight forward depending on the size and location.  It is reasonable to either remove them all at once under anesthesia or in a staged fashion under local.  A more definitave answer would require examination. Good luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Painful Lipomas as Well as Multiple Lipomas on the Thighs and Hips

+1

The reason patients come to me is because they either do not like the appearance of some of their lipomas or because some of them are tender. Usually there is a mixture of the two reasons.  The large ones on the back or shoulder usually are removed because they are unsightly. 

Lipomas on the extremities are more likely to be tender. If they are growing against sensory cutaneous nerves and putting pressure on them they can be uncomfortable or painful.

Lipomas on the extremities can be removed with local tumescent anesthetic in the office operating room.  They are broken down or melted with the Smartlipo Triplex 1440 nm laser and the remnant is removed with low vacuum 1.4 mm liposuction and a small alligator clamp. 1-20 can  be done in this way at the same time.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Multiple painful lipomas

+1

I would definitely recommend seeing a plastic surgeon, first, to determine that they are, in fact, lipomas.  Lipomas usually are not painful.  If they are lipomas and fairly superficial then you could remove them a few at a time under local anesthesia in an office setting or you could remove them all under general anesthesia.  Again, the best approach should be determined by your examining physician.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD