I Have a Lot of Excess Skin on my Buttocks (They Sag and Are Heavy). What is the Best Way to Repair Them?

A board certified surgeon said she could do a medial buttuck and thigh lift but my rear would be flat. She said she could put some of my skin/flesh back onto my buttocks (not by injection) to mae my butt less flat, but I would still have sagging. I've lost 187 lb & workout regularly. Surgeon says I have good muscle tone but my butt skin is too heavy to put it all in for fullness. Big butts are a family trait. What can I do to make my rear look good? Not many options in my state. Please help!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Buttock Augmentation After Weight Loss

+2

Thank you very much for your question.  Buttock contouring after weight loss is one of the areas of body contouring after weight loss that requires special attention to get excellent results.  Photos would be more helpful in giving you advise, but from your description it seems to me like you would be a good candidate for a buttock lift with auto-augmentation with your own tissue.  This procedure is very effective in restoring the shape and lifting the buttock after weight loss.  In severe cases, it can be combined with a staged posterior thigh lift and infra-gluteal diamond lift for a better result.  For more information on these procedure please refer to the following article:  

Gluteal Contouring Surgery in the Massive Weight Loss Patient
Clinics in Plastic Surgery, Volume 35, Issue 1, Pages 73-91
Robert F. Centeno, Constantino G. Mendieta, V. Leroy Young

Good luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Buttocks

+2

The sagging buttocks can be lifted with a lift and the excess skin removed. The incision is on the top of the buttocks,

A dermis fat graft can be put in the buttock for volume and projection if desired.

Medial thigh lift does not do anything to the buttocks unless you extend the scar to the buttock crease which is more obviuous and poor in healing and very noticable.

187 lb Weight Loss and Need Buttlift

+1

In general, a body lift may be helpful as well as a medial thigh lift, but this is hard to determine without pictures.  This procedure can be broken up into stages as well.  Autoaugmentation with rotational flaps may help some, but physical exam would be needed to confirm feasibility of this option.  If you have any fat left to transfer, that may be a better idea for volume filling.

Gluteal Reshaping following massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! For gluteal Reshaping after massive weight loss, I recommend a lower body lift with autologous augmentation (the excess skin from the back is de-epithelialized or the superficial skin is shaved off, the tissue is reshaped and tucked into the gluteal area for volume).  This is an extensive procedure and takes a couple of weeks time off from work, but the results are amazing.  Good luck and take care!

Web reference: Http://www.drlacerna.com

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Butt skin laxity

+1

Dear sunnilu,

The reason for your buttock skin laxity, is that you lost significant amount of volume (fat).  Your skin  could not shrink enough and accomodate your new butt size. Well, the logical solution is to restore the lost volume. The 2 most common techniques are fat injection and silicone implants. Unfortunately, fat injection is unpredictable and most of the time disappears after a year. Buttock implants are soft , feel and look natural and most importantly , do not disappear. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in buttock implant augmentation.  Check his or hers before and after and make sure that you like the results.

Dr Widder

Web reference: http://widderplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Buttock lift after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

• Body repair after major weight loss is complex.
  • It is hard to say what is best for you without a complete examination.
  • Your surgeon's plan sounds reasonable - using your own buttock tissue folded in to enlarge the buttock.
  • Be sure she is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in weight loss surgery.
  • If not, I suggest you consult one.
  • You might eventually want a buttock implant but my preference would be correcting the effects of weight loss first and using your own tissues if possible.

Hope this helps!

You need an ABPS-certified PLASTIC SURGEON experienced in body lift after massive weight loss!

+1

I am concerned when you state you have talked to a "board-certified surgeon" instead of an American Boad of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon. Too many self-proclaimed "surgeons" are not fully-trained in plastic surgery, and particularly with this amount of massive weight loss (Congratulations! What an achievement!), you almost certainly need a full lower body lift (circumferential belt lift) with autologous buttock dermal-fat augmentation. This is something that only a few fully-trained ABPS-certified plastic surgeons are presently doing, and very few do lots of them.

SO let's assume you have been talking to an appropriately-experienced "real" plastic surgeon who has done a significant amount of body contouring surgery after massive weight loss. A medial thigh lift in continuity with a buttock lift is an operation done where the patient has already undergone an abdominoplasty, so the anterior (belly) loose skin has been removed and the abdomen tightened. Loose medial thigh, hip, lateral thigh, and buttock skin remains, and the long spiral excision is termed a Lockwood type I lower body lift. By contrast, the much more common abdominoplasty that extends all the way around the body (lower body lift or circumferential belt lift) is termed a Lockwood type II lower body lift.

"Putting skin/flesh 'back' onto [your] buttocks" but not by injection sounds like a non-medical description of an autologous pedicled dermal-fat flap buttock augmentation, but you should have a full understanding of what is planned and just how this is to be performed, or you could end up with a hunk of dead tissue that becomes infected, causes significant problems, and could even be deadly!

You don't want to get this wrong! Seek several opinions and verify your surgeon's credentials and experience with the exact operation planned. For examples of my patients undergoing this type of procedure, click on the web reference link below, and read my article (on my About page on this site) titled "Lower Body after Massive Weight Loss--Is Outpatient Beltlift Surgery Safe? Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/photogallery/belt-lift-circumferential-lower-body-lift-5951

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Buttock reconstruction after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on losing 187 lbs!  Unfortunately in these situations you are left with a lot of excess sagging skin that can only be treated by surgical excision (removal).  Thus I recommend first undergoing a buttock lift (probably even a "total body lift") and then once you are completely healed and the tissues are settled into their final shape then look into the (probable) need for buttock implants to restore volume.  Glad to help...RAS 

Web reference: HTTP://WWW.DRRYANSTANTON.COM