How Do I Use Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C Serum? Which Goes on First?

I started hyaluronic acid in the A.M., which also has vitamin C. After reading about C, I wonder if a C serum would be helpful as well, but am not sure how to use it.

Hyaluronic Acid Creams

+2
I would suggest you become more preventative in your skin care with a comprehensive antioxidant serum, such as SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF applied once daily in the morning as a nutritional supplement to your skin. You could then apply your hyaluronic acid moisture cream. Please realize that hyaluronic acid cream is nothing more than a good moisturizer. Let’s get rid of any notion that any applied hyaluronic acid creams or products actually flow into the skin. They don’t, they are simply good moisturizers.

Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

How to apply Vitamin C serums

+1
In general, you apply all products from thinnest to thickest, which means the Vitamin C serum always goes on first (while your skin is slightly damp). The important thing about Vitamin C serums is finding one that is stablized. If it's not properly stabilized, it will work a few times, and then be totally ineffective because the air will make the product unstable. The best stabilized Vitamin C on the market is made by SkinCeuticals - either CE Ferulic, or Phloretin CF depending on your skin's needs. After this serum, you apply other serums, moisturizers, creams, and finally sunscreen. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Hyaluronic acid with vitamin C

+1

Thank you for asking about whether hyaluronic acid or vitamin C go on your skin first.

1. It depends on formulation - some creams and oils inactivate others.
  2. If you bought the hyaluronic acid and vitamin C over the counter, I suggest using one at night, one in the morning.
  3. If you bought them from a physician, contact the office for instructions.
  4. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD