Post Revision Rhinoplasty: Hurts when I Pull Down Upper Lip

hi during my immmediate post-op revision rhino with tip graft(septal+ear cartilage), it was uncomfortable and also hurt sometimes when i unconsciously and constantly pull down my upper lip( perpetual habit of mine) . will nose tip plunge or be re-shaped cos of that? sorry for the repeated question. i did not make myself clear previously. thanks

Painful nose with pulling down upper lip after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Pulling down your upper lip after rhinoplasty surgery can cause a bit of tenderness. This is due to pulling on the tissues of the columella. There will normally be scar tissue in that area in addition to swelling that will make it more tender, especially with pulling down your lip.

I would recommend avoiding doing such a motion for a while after surgery to prevent and stretching or widening of your columellar incision (presuming you had a open coluemellar incision). The area should return to normal with time, though.

Pulling Upper Lip after Rhinoplasty

+1

First I'll stste the obvious, don't pull on your lip if it causes pain. Discomfort is frequently secondary to swelling; if you're in the immediate post-op period, this will resolve as the swelling decreases. It is unlikely you will do any harm unless you you abuse yourself doing this firmly and frequently.

Pulling upper lip can't help after Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm not sure that pulling on your upper lip will drop the tip but it sure can't help your nose heal after your Rhinoplasty.  You should keep your hands off your lip and nose.

Don't do anything that hurts

+1

After rhinoplasty you should avoid movements in your lip and nose that cause pain.  It may take quite a few months for the tip and lip to feel normal again, especially after multiple grafts.

Sam Naficy, MD