3 1/2 Months After Septorhinoplasty can I Tan My Face?

Hello. I had revision septoplasty-rhinoplasty surgery 3 1/2 months ago and I am going on an overseas holiday next week. The weather will be very hot and I plan to spend most of my time outdoors and swimming. Whilst I know not to burn my nose & apply a high sun protection cream at all times am I able to tan my face? Are there any precautions I can take so that I don't end up with a swollen nose? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Depends on your skin type

+1

If you have a darker complexion it is probably not a good idea to tan your nose as it may result in hyper-pigmentation.

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

Although your swelling has not totally subsided, at 3 1/2 months it should be no problem going into the sun as long as you use sunblock with a high SPF. Since you had a revision rhinoplasty, swelling should take even longer than a primary rhinoplasty,and you should be patient.

John E. Sherman, MD

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

Exposing your nose to the sun will likely lead to some increased swelling, but the main issue is avoiding sun exposure to any external incision (if you have any). I recommend keeping the nose protected with SPF 30 or higher sun block for at least a year after surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tanning Face 3.5 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

I must first ask if you could tan your face before your rhinoplasty. Use a high SPF sunblock on your nose and enjoy your holiday.

Sun exposure following revision rhinoplasty.

+1

My recommendations following rhinoplasty are as follows:  No prolonged sun exposure for 3 weeks.  Thereafter, if you must go in the sun then wear high level sunblock (minimum SPF 45), wear a wide-brim hat and limit the exposure as much as possible.  These precautions apply for 6 months following rhinoplasty and possibly longer for revision rhinoplasty due to delayed healing. 

Any facial area that has undergone surgical dissection is more sensitive to the effects of UV radiation such as sun exposure.  In other words, the involved area will burn with much more quickly than it otherwise would and the amount of swelling will be much greater.  This can potentially compromise the long term outcome by promoting prolonged edema and scarring and thickening of the nasal skin cover.  The degree of increased sensitivity is directly related to the degree of surgical dissection. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure or tanning after Rhinoplasty

+1

Sun exposure or tanning, during the first 6 months, after a Rhinoplasty or Revision Rhinoplasty increases the swelling to the nose and should be avoided.

Rhinoplasty and tanning

+1

I amnot a big fan of tanning because the sun can prematurely age your face and also lead to skin cancers.  As to the impact on yoru rhinopplasty, it probably should not have any.  If you had an open rhinoplasty or in general are sitting in the sun you should wear a good sun block.