500g Breast Reduction - What Size Will I Be?

I'm 42yrs 5'3" 213 lbs. I'm heavier than I look. I truely look about 175lb w/ clothes on. I wear 38-40 D-DD depends on bra. I've had 2 children and off/on fluctuating weight through the years. My breast are heavey and hang quite a bit. I've been walking, exercising with difficulty cause of breast. I care more about myself every sinse I knew I was getting this done. Ins says the dr has to take 500g. He's NOT having to do lipo on the sides. About what size will I be lg C, sm C, or lg B?

Breast Reduction/Medical Insurance/Cup Size.

+3

Based on your picture I would say you are more in the DD range.  Removal of only 500 grams from you would not make you C cup or smaller in my opinion.  I never guarantee a cup size after breast reduction surgery.  The good thing is that your plastic surgeon HAS TO REMOVE A MINIMUM OF 500 GRAMS.  This means he or she can remove more than 500 grams to get you closer to your desired size as long as this does not increase the complication rate for your procedure.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

500g Breast Reduction - What Size Will I Be

+2

500 gms each side from your so kindly photo posted IS NOT ENOUGH to get to a C cup. I would remove at least 700 to 800 gms per side to get to a C cup. Your doctor maybe meant that the 500 gms were the least he would remove. Please clarify with him. 

Cup Size after 500gr Reduction

+2

It is always difficult to accurately predict post-op cup sizes because as you pointed out there are differences among bra manufacturers.  Given the information that you provided, my best guess is that you would be a C/D following a 500 gram reduction.  But again that is only a guess.

John Whitt, MD

Bra Size Unpredictable After Surgery

+1

The bra manufacturers have no standards for determining bra size.  It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  It would appear a 500-700 gram reduction would keep your breasts in proportion to the rest of your body.  Make sure you talk with your PS before the operation so he/she has an idea what size you are desiring after the surgery.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Breast reduction 500 gms

+1

Typically most insurance companies require a minimum of 500 gms per breast to be removed to trigger coverage. With the average cup ranging from 150-200 cc, it is probable that this will produce a 2-3 cup reduction in size. However, this is only an estimate

Impossible to know resultant bra size after breast reduction

+1

Hi there-

Please understand that anyone who suggests they can tell you what bra size you will use after ANY operation is only providing an educated guess at best.

Because of many variables, and especially because it is not possible to know where you like to shop or how you prefer your bras to fit, there is simply no way to be able to responsibly predict a bra size for you.

You should focus on achieving improvement in your symptoms, and the appearance you desire.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast size after breast reduction

+1

It is impossible to predict with complete accuracy what size the breasts will be after surgery.  However, in my experience, for every 200 cc or so, the breast will go down by one size.  Likewise, you would need much more than 500 cc removed from your breasts to end up with a "C."  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

500 gm reduction

+1

Photos can be a bit unreliable in terms of determining weight and final breast size. If the breast is very glandualr, they tend to be heavier.  In general if your breasts are fattier than glandular a 500 gm reduction may drop you down to a '"D" cup  or lsightly smaller.  Need a good physical.

Breast reduction bra size change

+1

Every woman will have a different result after 500 gram reduction depending on the breast shape and size that you start with.  500 grams would be the minimum amount of tissue that you would want to remove to get some improvement.  You will want to discuss your final goals with your surgeon to see how small you want to be.  No surgeon can guarantee a final bra size but you will need to come to some agreement as to how small is right for you.

My estimation is that you will go down about 1 1/2 cup sizes after 500 grams of tissue removal.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon