What Are the Stats on Loss of Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Reduction Surgery?

I am 5ft 3" and a 32G cup and 43 years old. I am considering breast reduction surgery to relieve back, neck and shoulder pains but am very reluctant due to the chances of losing nipple sensation. This is a huge erogenous zone for me, and I can't seem to find any statistics regarding this particular complication/side-effect. Any advice/personal experience would be much appreciated.

Stats on Loss of Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Reduction

+2

In medical studies the loss of sensitivity of the nipple/areolar complex following breast reduction surgery is around 7%. But the larger the reduction or removed amount can effect these %'s to the worse side. Seek in person opinions. But I always tell my patient it is a chance that it will happen, so if you want a 100% guarantee than do not do the operation. Also, if pre op the sensitivity is low than the chances really increase for having numbness. 

Breast Reduction & Nipple Sensitivity

+1

There are many different ways to perform a breast reduction. The risk for loss of feeling to the nipple areolar complex differs, to some degree, from one technique to the next. There are steps your surgeon can take to help minimize the risk of loss of sensitivity to the nipple. The incidence of loss of nipple sensitivity probably varies, depending on the procedure, from 10-50%.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Decreased Nipple Areola Sensation Occurs in 5-15% of Breast Reduction Patients

+1

Although breast reduction is considered a safe operative procedure, occasionally complications do occur. Decreased nipple areola sensation reportedly occurs in five to fifteen percent of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery.

This complication appears to be related to the surgical technique used and the amount of tissue removed from the breast. In cases where large amounts of breast tissue are removed, there’s a higher incidence of decreased sensation. In addition, surgical techniques that remove breast tissue inferiorly near the breast fold are also associated with an increased incidence of numbness.

The vast majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery, report high satisfaction rates even when sensation is decreased. In these cases, resolution of the symptoms associated with breast hypertrophy, are the priority. In some patients, nipple areola sensation is very important. Since there is no way to guarantee normal sensation, patients in this group should proceed cautiously with breast reduction.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensation and Breast Reduction

+1

With all surgeries come possible risks and complications. Unfortunately with breast reduction surgery loss of nipple sensation is a possibility, although the chances are low, between 4% and 15%, it must be considered as a possibility. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.breastreductionsanfrancisco.com/breast-reduction.asp

Breast Reduction and Loss of Sensation?

+1
Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform for patients with symptomatic breast hypertrophy. Of course, like with any operation, patients and surgeons must weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks/ complications associated with the procedure.
A loss of nipple/areola sensation rate of 5 to 15% with  breast reduction surgery is probably accurate.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Loss of nipple or sensation

+1

The loss of sensation is certainly more common. I think studies report abot a 15% permanent change in sensation long term. AS for nipple loss, this is very rare.

Risk of loss of nipple sensation wtih breast reduction

+1

The risk of loss of nipple sensation wtih breast reduction can vary in studies. And I have seen numbers rangeing from 4 -16%.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-reduction/

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1

The preservation of nipple sensation depends a lot on the breast reduction technique.  The "free nipple graft" procedure where the nipple is removed and then sewn back on as a full thickness skin graft always leaves the nipples numb.  I reserve this procedure for ladies who are gigantic and really, really saggy who want to go quite small and don't care about their sensation.  I rarely do a free nipple graft. 

The procedures that carry the nipple on breast tissue usually preserve the nerves to the nipple but there is no guarantee.  If your nipple nerves are in an unusual location, they could be in harms way.  The surgeon would not know this because they are so small, we don't see them during surgery.  We just stay away from there they are supposed to be.   Complete loss of sensation is rare but you need to decide if it happened to you, would the smaller and less saggy breasts be worth it?  Even if only 3% of patients lose sensation, if it happens to you it might as well be 100%.

You did not mention your weight.  If you are overweight, losing weight will likely reduce the size of your breasts and you could have a breast lift which almost always preserves nipple sensation.

Good surgical technique preserves nipple sensation after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Loss of sensation should be very rare. Occasionally we see temporary reduction in feeling. During surgery, nerves to the nipples need to be preserved.

Risk of Nipple Numbness after Breast Reduction

+1

Regarding: " Loss of Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Reduction Surgery?
I am 5ft 3" and a 32G cup and 43 years old. I am considering breast reduction surgery to relieve back, neck and shoulder pains but am very reluctant due to the chances of losing nipple sensation. This is a huge erogenous zone for me, and I can't seem to find any statistics regarding this particular complication/side-effect. Any advice/personal experience would be much appreciated
."

Sensation of the nipple is carried by specialized small branches of the 5th rib (intercostal) nerve. The vast majority of large breasted women have poor to no sensation in the nipple and areola due to chronic traction injuries to these nerves. You happen to be an exception. The reason you have a hard time getting a figure on numbness after breast reduction is that many women are numb or have reduced sensation before surgery and that potential damage to these nerve branches, if sensation is normal, would depend on what breast reduction technique is used to make the breast smaller.  Any technique removing tissue from the lower and side of the breast risks doing damage to it.

In my hands the numbness rate has been extremely low after this operation. But that is not important. What is important is that you need to carefully ask yourself are you willing to put up with the pain and limitations of 32G sized breasts (which will not get better as you get older) OR are you willing to risk numbness? IF the risk of numbness was 1%, would you accept it? How about 4%? In my opinion, those numbers are quite misleading because if you happen to be in that 1% or 4% group, the rate becomes meaningless because your numbness is 100%. It is all about potential benefit and risk tolerance. If you are not willing to risk it, do NOT have the surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea