Why Do I Have Pain in My Nipples Years After My Breast Reduction?

During the mid 1990s I had a breast reduction because my breasts were so large. I am very happy with my reduction except for the fact that at different times I will have severe pain in the nipple area and in the scar that runs from the nipple to the lower part of the breast. It is mostly when I get cold. This can happen at any time of the day or night and can be very painful and hard to get rid of. Any suggestions why this happens and what I can do the next time it happens?

Nerve issues

+1

Some patients develope weird sensory changes after surgery. This could be related to scarring. You may want to see a pain management doctor.

Strange nerve sensation after breast reduction

+1

You may be experiencing nerve entrapment or dysesthesias from a neuropraxia or neurotemesis from the reduction mammaplasty. Perhaps distraction therapy provided with an alternative form of stimulation will overide the impulses. Other options include scar mobilization, desensitization, etc.