Please help me understand what kind of costs are involved with the gastric bypass surgery process.
How Much Does Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost?
Doctor Answers (6)
Package pricing for Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
Our Center in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, has put together a package price which includes surgeon's fee, anesthesiologist's fee, and all hospital charges, including as many days as are necessary (usually 1-3). This price is $13,500.
GASTRIC BYPASS COST IN DOMINICANA REPUBLIC
Cost of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
Our price for laparoscopic gastric bypass is currently $19,500. This includes the surgeon fee, assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist, and 2-night stay in a bariatric center-of-excellence hospital (not a surgery center). This price also includes post-operative support such as regular visits with our registered dietician and psychologist, healthy cooking classes, and support groups.
You might also like...
Is It Worth It?
The cost of a gastric bypass operation varies widely across the country. In general, the lowest prices can be found in cities where there are multiple weight loss surgeons as the hospitals and surgeons will lower their price to attract more patients. I think $20,000 is a reasonable estimate around the country, but again this will vary widely.
Here are some general recommendations for patients that are thinking about paying cash for their operation:
1) If there is ANY way to get insurance to pay for the operation, use your insurance!
2) Shop around a bit to make sure you get the best price. I wouldn't compromise quality for price, but you can often get a great operation at a better price by looking at different programs in your area.
3) Be aware of "specials"! These are often done by surgeon's or hospitals that are just getting started and are trying to attract patients. This isn't always a bad thing (we all had to start at some point!), but just check it out carefully.
4) Make sure you know EXACTLY what is included in the price you pay. There can often be hidden costs that really start to drive up the price!
5) Keep in mind there are 3-4 financing companies out there that can help you obtain financing for your surgery if you would like to go that route.
It's unfortunate that some insurance policies don't cover weight loss surgery considering the enormous benefits patients see after surgery. If your policy doesn't cover weight loss surgery, I recommend you speak with your employer's Human Resource department and see if it is something they might add. Hey, if you don't ask you'll never know!
My last thought is "How much is your life worth to you?". Think for a moment about all of the things you have spent money on in the past. How many of those things have restored your health, lengthened your life, and improved your quality of life?
Cost of gastric bypass
The costs are variable. Here in NY the total cost is about $21,000 including surgeon fee, anesthesia, and hospital fee. Most patients spend two nights in the hospital.
Shawn Garber, MD FACS FASMBS
Web reference: http://stopobesityforlife.com
Costs with Gastric Bypass
There are regional differences in costs wih gastric bypass but generally costs are broken down into three parts. These are: professional component (doctor), hospital costs, and anesthesia. In Houston the total cost at this time is somewhere between 21 to 22K. This covers three hospital days which is the standard lenght of stay for a patient having this type of surgery.
Hope this helps!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.