How Soon After a "New" Tattoo Can You Start Laser Removal?

If a tattoo is fresh (only a few months old), is laser even an option, or would 15-20 sessions still not remove something so fresh/dark (it's only black, 2 inces wide x 6 inches long)? I'm fairly pale, and my skin really absorbed the ink. Also, is excision not an option on an "active" area like the shoulder blade? Even w/grafting? I know the scar would be major, but I desperately want the tattoo gone.

Laser tattoo removal for eyeliner tattoo

+2

A tattoo can be removed immediately after it was placed. Based on the description you provided, it may require a few more sessions to get rid of the tattoo. Usually black ink tattoos take up to 5-10 sessions. In some cases more. You should consult a laser surgeon to choose an appropriate laser & setting for the tattoo removal therapy.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

+1
In order to remove a tattoo, you must wait 6 weeks from the time it has been placed. We are unable to tell how many passes over the tattoo it takes, it depends on your bodies ability o break to the tattoo and get rid of the ink. Every patient is different. We know that black does better than color, smaller is better than larger, non-smokers do better than smokers, older tattoos do better than newer and tattoos close to the heart does better then on the extremities.
The R20 means that the tattoo can be removed in less visits to the office.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Six weeks at a BARE minimum but the longer the better....

+1
The adult human skin cycle dictates when a laser procedure can start. If you start too soo after tattoo placement you run the risk of increased adverse events including prolonged ink retention and scarring. A minimum of six weeks is necessary but we usally err on the side of caution and have patients wait seven , eight or more... Best of luck, Dr. Kirby

William Kirby, DO, FAOCD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Wait 6 weeks to Treat a

+1

First, we recommend waiting six weeks before removing a new tattoo with a laser.  Laser is the first line treatment for tattoos, as the chance of scarring is remote.  With an excision of the upper back and shoulder regions, there is significant risk of a thickened scar or keloid, in your case, possibly six inches in length.

With older, nano-technology lasers, these type of tattoos could take up to 15-20 sessions, but with our new Picosure pico-second laser, we are seeing resolution of these types of tattoos in half the treatment sessions, roughly 4-6 treatments.  

Edward Rohaly, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Tattoo removal with laser and surgery

+1

Tattoo removal is performed by laser and surgery. Tattoo works by selectively targeting pigment in the tattoo. Once the laser is used, macrophages in the skin remove tattoo particles.

Surgery is reserved for tattoos that are resistant to laser tattoo removal. Surgery is not indicated for areas that are dynamic, like the joints, shoulders, mid back, and chest.

Since the laser targets the tattoo pigment, it can be performed early after laser hair removal, as long the epidermis is intact.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tattoos and lasers

+1

I have treated very fresh tattoos with excellent results but, occasionally, some patients will need more treatments than others, especially in the mature tattoos.  Consult with a laser specialist in your area.

Ronald Shelton, MD