How Much Downtime Should I Expect After Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I am a professional model and obvously would like to know how much time it is going to take to heal before i can go back to work?

Body or Face?

If you model for body shots, then one month is fine. If you are a face model, then 2 months are more appropriate. It will take a year or more to achieve the final results, but people should not be able to see that you had something done (unless you are radically changing your look) at those time points and distances.

Camera readiness after rhinoplasty

I have dealt with this issue many times as a Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty specialist. I can tell you that everyone is different and your healing will depend on your particular nose and what exactly needs to be done depending on what your desires are.

Following finesse rhinoplasty (which means minor changes) people are usually ready to be on stage or on camera after about 10 days to 2 weeks with make up. The good news for you is that most people who are making a living with their looks like models and actors already have fairly nice noses and only need minor changes and therefore require finesse rhinoplasties.

The more work that needs to be done, the more potential swelling you will have and the longer it will take you to be camera ready. In general models and actors do not fall into this category, but that is not an absolute rule. I usually tell people to wait at least 6 weeks (if not longer) to get new head shots. Hope this helps.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Downtime During Rhinoplasty Recovery

The "downtime" following rhinoplasty is variable depending on what rhinoplasty techniques are used such as whether the surgery was performed open or closed, whether any tip work was performed, and whether the nasal bones were broken (osteotomies). Patients who undergo open rhinoplasty typically have more edema (swelling) that persists longer compared to patients in whom closed rhinoplasty techniques were used. If the nose was surgically broken by performing osteotomies then there is usually more swelling and bruising.

Patients are generally encouraged to take a week of from work or school. After two weeks, most patients can gradually return to strenuous activities such as exercising.

The swelling gradually dissipates over the first several months and thus the appearance of the nose changes gradually. When the cast is removed after one week, the nose will look swollen. Usually by the end of the second week, the swelling and bruising have subsided enough that the casual observer will not readily notice that the nose has been operated on. However, to the patient, the nose will look swollen or "puffy" for several months. By about 3-4 months, the majority of the swelling will be gone but will look larger in photographs. It can take as long as a year for the final shape to become apparent. You should give yourself several months if if there are any work or social engagements that would cause concern.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patients undergoing a rhinoplasty will have a nasal...

Patients undergoing a rhinoplasty will have a nasal splint for about a week.

If an open rhinoplsasty is performed (that is using a small incision on the skin between the nostrils on the area called the columella), the sutures would be removed 1 week after surgery. The majority of the swelling and bruising should go away within 2 weeks.

Because you are a model, I would probably give it a month to go back to photo shoots. There will be some residual swelling in the tip of the nose for months, but only you would probably notice it.

Recovery: Rhinoplasty

Recovery following rhinoplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on several factors. These include the type of procedure performed, the wound healing characteristics of the patient and the patients’ employment and social situation.

Following rhinoplasty, patients have several concerns, They want to know when they will feel better and look good enough to return to public as well as when they can resume normal and strenuous activities. They also want to know when residual swelling will disappear and when their final result will be achieved.
After rhinoplasty, nasal packing is usually removed within 24 hours following surgery. When an open rhinoplasty is performed; sutures are removed five to six days after surgery. External splints are removed one week following surgery.

Most patients are surprised at how good they feel two to three days following the surgery. Depending upon their employment and social situations, many patients don’t feel like going out in public for at least a week. This is primarily due to the bruising and swelling which accompanies this procedure. This may be more pronounced if the boney portion of the nose is fractured and narrowed.

Most routine activities are resumed in seven to ten days and strenuous activities can be resumed in four to six weeks following surgery. Small amounts of residual swelling may persist for up to one year following rhinoplasty.

Patients typically find the first 24 hours of recovery difficult. Once the nasal packing is removed they quickly feel better.

Downtime after rhinoplasty

The initial swelling will subside in a couple of weeks to a month, then residual swelling may last for up to a year or so. I recommend patients avoid exercising for about 6 weeks, and this includes swimming. They may be able to return to work in about two weeks or so, if it;s a desk job. Of course you should ask your surgeon for their advice as it may be different.

However, you'll probably need to wait a couple of months since your work relies on your appearance (although if it's just for your body, then you can return to work in about 2 weeks  or so).

Downtime after rhinoplasty

Thank your inquiry and I am glad that you bring up this specific subject that I have been addressing quite often especially with patients in the show business/modeling.

Usually, camera readiness after a minor rhinoplasty should range between 1-2 weeks and up to 2-3 months for major changes. However, every patient is different and the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Modeling after Rhinoplasty

As your job requires you to look at your best, I would advise that you anticipate a recovery period of nearly one month. During this time, your new nose will look different than the anticipated end result, as your nose and face will be significantly swollen and may even appear slightly bruised. Unfortunately, it is impossible to prevent swelling post nose job. I often recommend my patients to refrain from drinking alcohol, reduce intake of salt, and sleep with several pillows under the head in order to speed up the recovery process and minimize swelling. The good news is that the swelling does go down, and will continue to go down for about a year following your procedure.

Sam Rizk, MD

Downtime after rhinoplasty

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. The amount of downtime varies greatly as well.

Return to work and social activities varies greatly based on the person. Patients tend to feel well within a few days after rhinoplasty although they have the splints in place, may have some swelling, and feel congested. There does not tend to be a lot of pain following rhinoplasty so most patients are able to do light activities like reading, typing, walking, etc. Depending on what was done during surgeries, patients may need to avoid the use of glasses for 4-6 weeks to allow adequate healing to take place. Additionally, some surgeons may have preference for avoiding certain foods, blowing the nose, etc. Typically, somewhere between 4-6 weeks, you can return to strenuous activities including exercise. You should clarify with your surgeon what restrictions you have and when you can return to normal and strenuous activities.

Like all things, it depends...

This discussion can really only be answered after an examination and discussion of what your goals are surgically.  The thickness of your skin, the approach used during surgery and the maneuvers used will all influence how long you will need to be out following surgery.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon