How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost?

What are average rhinoplasty cost? Does the price of a nose job vary by state like some other plastic surgeries?

Cost of a nose job

+9

Templeton

I would agree with other comments on this topic. However, I would add one more important point. Rhinoplasty is different from most other types of surgery.

The best rhinoplasty surgeon are artists - they are capable of combining the logic, step by step left brain thinking required with most surgeries with the artistic right brain skills required to create a beautiful nose. This point can not be underestimated. This is why you must look at before and after photographs on the surgeon's website.

Experience, time in the operating room, complexity and sometimes even the surgeon's reputation does not always produce beautiful noses. It is similar to asking the question how much does an artist's painting cost? I could answer this by saying that it depends on the cost of the paint, the canvas, the brushes, the amount of time it takes to paint, the rent costs at my studio, etc. Is this what makes the difference between a da Vinci painting and one by an art student?

Make sure you look at fifty or more before and after photographs of each surgeon your are considering.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a procedure not to pick on price

+7

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult procedure in cosmetic surgery.

It can have a high touch up rate as well. There are a lot of surgeons performing almost the exactly same operation on each person.

The best advice I can give is to pick a surgeon that has had ear, nose, and throat training or a surgeon that does a nasal operation every week. Surprisingly, few do.

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Rhinoplasty

+4

The cost of a rhinoplasty does depend on where you are located.  The more rural, the less it is, and in the more urban areas you will find that the costs are higher.  While price is always a consideration, it is more important to check the surgeons qualifications, board status and experience.  Rhinoplasty is a complex operation and you have to choose someone who is skilled over a good price.  

Cost of rhinoplasty

+4

I agree with all the above.  Rhinoplasty is the single most complex operation in cosmetic or reconstructive surgery.  However, skill and technique and time to perform the operation vary dramatically.  The most important choice to make is the experience of the plastic surgeon peforming the operation.  If you view their website and rhinoplasty is the 12th listed procedure behind breast reconstruction, breast lifting, mommy makeovers and tummy tucks...DO NOT GO TO THAT SURGEON.  The first 3 procedures are what are peformed routinely.  As someone who takes care of 300-350 rhinoplasty patients a year and treats over 1/3 revisions from other surgeons this is a critical decision point.  With that being said the procedure should hover around 3500-5000 for a primary procedure and no more than 7000 for a revision.  In Scottsdale, AZ, Beverly Hills or Manhattan this should hold true.  If the price floats much above this in the 15,000 dollar range...keep getting more opinions until you find the better fit.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost reflects surgeon's work and philosophy

+4

I can only speak personally.  In the Boston area, nasal surgery prices vary, but what is the surgeon doing to your nose?  If the rhinoplasty is just a reduction, that is a 30-45 minute operation and costs less.  But reduction rhinoplasty does not solve many nasal problems, and so surgeons have added grafts to the operation to improve support and contour and to protect your airway.

But  if you are having septal surgery for your airway, spreader grafts (to support your internal valves and make sure the sides of your nose line up), a radix graft (to maximize your nasal proportion), and tip grafts (to improve tip projection and contour), the length of the operation will double to triple, but the result will be much better.  That time and complexity costs more.

I perform many of these grafts on my patients, and do rib and ear cartilage grafts several times a week because of the patients that I treat.  That familiarity with techniques allows any surgeon and his or her staff to improve efficiency and therefore stay affordable.  I personally do not want to be affordable only to wealthy patients, and so have always tried to keep my fees moderate.

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Cost for Rhinoplasty

+4

Cost varies by city and extent of surgery.

In Denver, cost of Rhinoplasty will range from $3500 - $15,000.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty costs vary by difficulty and surgeon experience

+4

Ahhh...the million dollar question. What will a Rhinoplasty cost. No two noses are the same and as such you should expect to be treated as an individual who's requirements are unique. This means that the fees you'll pay for your Rhinoplasty will vary as well. However, in my opinion, there are some generalizations.

1. Primary or first time Rhinoplasties will be less expensive then Revision Rhinoplasties that are definitely more work and much more difficult for the plastic and cosmetic surgeon to perform.

2. The more experienced, in general, the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, the higher the cost for your Rhinoplasty. If the surgeon has a thriving, busy and high profile practice the fees will most likely be higher than if you visited a surgeon who is just starting out.

3. The more difficult the Rhinoplasty: which means the more areas of the nose that need to be manipulated during the procedure...like the tip, upper lateral cartilages, nasal bones , septum and turbinates...onlay grafts, man made grafts, ear cartilage, rib, bone, fascia etc. the higher the cost for your procedure.

I've always advised potential plastic and cosmetic surgery patients, including Rhinoplasty patients to use my simple 4-step guide to selecting your surgeon which can be fould on my surgical website by clicking on "How to Choose Your Plastic Surgeon".

I will leave you with a couple parting thoughts:

1. If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

2. Strive for the best, because second best may be a setup for a revision surgery at much higher costs.

Rhinoplasty Cost and Insurance Information

+4

The price of a rhinoplasty can vary significantly. Factors that affect the price include your surgeon's geographic location, level of experience, and the techniques and time required to perform your surgery. The American Socieity for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery's Statistics on Cosmetic Surgery note that the national average surgeon's fee for 2007 was approximately $4800. You should check with your doctor to find out what other fees are involved, such as anesthesia fees or surgical center fees.

Most insurance companies will not pay for nasal surgery performed for cosmetic reasons. Occassionally, they will cover surgery performed to correct post-traumatic deformities. Insurance will, however, pay for the portion of a rhinoplasty that is done to improve your breathing -- i.e., correcting a deviated septum (septoplasty) or reconstructing collapsed breathing passages (spreader grafts). You should check with your physician to see if he accepts insurance and whether or not you are a candidate for these types of procedures.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Rhinoplasty Surgery

+3

Because no two people have the exact same nose or seek the very same treatment, it's very difficult to put a cost on the price of a rhinoplasty before being able to examine a patient in person. The nose is an extremely delicate, prominent  and important facial feature, which is why it's important to enlist a rhinoplasty expert for any type of nose surgery. Before selecting your surgeon strictly based on price, researching their background, training, board certification, and asking to see before and after photos is a great idea.

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.info/rhinoplasty.html

Rhinoplasty cost based on many factors

+3

The cost of rhinoplasty varies significantly depending on several factors:

1) primary vs. revision, with revision rhinoplasty typically being more expensive

2) the amount of work needed to be done, as shorter cases have lower costs in terms of anesthesia costs, surgical center fees, and surgeon's fees. 

3) whether you have a medical reason to have nasal surgery (deviated septum, difficulty breathing, history of nasal trauma etc.) in which case your insurance may cover a huge portion of the anesthesia, facility, and surgeon's fees. 

I would encourage any patient seeking rhinoplasty not to choose a surgeon solely based on price but rather consult with a few and go with the surgeon with whom you feel most comfortable and whose before/after photos are most in line with your own aesthetic sense. Also, pick a surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasty, as it truly is the most technically challenging of plastic surgery procedures and a surgery for which specialized training is most critical. 

All that being said, a purely cosmetic rhinoplasty in my practice can run anywhere between $7,000 and $15,000 but in medical cases half (or more) of this cost may be offset by your insurance coverage. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon