Revision Rhinoplasty for Tip Refinement 4 Months After Initial Surgery?

I had a closed Rhinoplasty nearly 4 months ago. I have noticed that the swelling has gone from the bridge, but the tip doesnt seem to have gone down as much. I feel that the tip of my nose from the side now looks too big for the top part which has gone down, making my nose look unbalanced. By four months, I feel most of the swelling should have gone in the bridge and tip. Should i think about a revision?

You should wait a year before revision rhinoplasty

+5

I know it's frustrating 4 months after rhinoplasty to look in the mirror and see a round tip. This is normal healing. It takes at least a year or more for the final swelling to fully go down. It is important to allow all the healing to take place, not only to avoid what may be un-necessary revision surgery but allow all the scar tissue to soften and the cartilages to achieve their final contour.

I have had many patients who thought that they might need revisions to further narrow the tip of their nose at 4, 6, even 10 months to find that they love it a year.

Some of the biggest disasters I have seen in consultation for revision rhinoplasty have come after revision surgery was attempted too soon. So, patience is important.

Web reference: http://www.revisionrhinoplastyny.com/

Rhinoplasty and Tip Swelling

+5

You still have significant tip swelling four months after your rhinoplasty. I don't see a hanging columella, but there still is a little too much supra-tip and tip fullness. The "ideal" tip to nostril proportion is 1:2 and right now your nose appears to be closer to 1:1. As your swelling resolves your proportions will get better. After one year, you may need a small amount of the supra-tip dorsum removed if the 1:2 balance is still off.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

4 months is too early for tip Revision Rhinoplasty

+4

You should definitely wait longer then 4 months before you consider revision rhinoplasty for the tip of your nose. I usually recommend a wait of at least a year but I have gone in earlier on rare occasions. Your surgeon should guide you appropriately if you are unhappy with your nose.

Revision rhinoplasty after four months?

+3

Absolutely not. The last place that swelling resolved is the tip. At four months, the tip is just starting to be defined, and will change dramatically over the ensuing nine months. Unless there is significant asymmetry, you should wait at least nine months to one year after surgery. Speak to your original surgeon express your concern and I am sure your surgeon will address your fears.

Don't Revise Your Rhinoplasty Prematurely

+3

Premature revision of a rhinoplasty is a bad idea. Even if it is obvious that a revision is necessary, you should wait for the healing to be mature. The surgeon should be looking at a stable nose when they start the operation and that is at least a year out. I have practiced for 10 years and can say I see changes for years after surgery.

I trained with a surgeon who had been in practice for 30 years. He had one year post-op rhinoplasty photos of women in their 20's and then new photos of those same women when they showed up 25 years later for a facelift. The noses were smaller! If the only thing that is wrong with your nose at one year is the tip is a little wider than you wanted, wait another year. Five, Ten, and Twenty years down the road, you will be happy you did.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+3

Swelling after rhinoplasty can take several months (often 12+) to resolve, especially in the tip. This is especially true if the skin is thicker. Your tip wll likely continue to change over the next several months and up to 1-2 years.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

If the hanging columella is your concern, time will help but can be corrected

+3

Hey Cupcakeceri,

It's often hard to sit on your hands and do nothing, but as you can tell from all the advice, most people would recommend being patient and letting things settle down. If we go beyond this early advice and think of what may be bothering you about the tip we notice 2 things.

First let's start by saying that overall your nose looks very good for this early stage. The two things we notice are:

1. You look like you have a slender face, and the tip at this point still looks a little overprojected- sticks a little too far from face,
  2. Part of the roundness we see on profile is because at this early stage you have a bit of a hanging columella - the middle wall between the nostrils is hanging down a bit.

With time you will likely see improvement in both of these things as the swelling settles and the columella settles back a bit.

If part of the roundness that bothers you is the way the columella is sitting you should see someone who can help resolve the problem with the hanging columella. In general, this is a relatively simple thing that can be done under a little sedation with little down time. If this is the issue, let us know and we can be more specific.

As for the projection, again time will help but if it doesn't balance your overall look, in time this can be corrected and there is no need to jump into this early as this can actually complicate any revision you get done.

All in all, you look great and time will resolve much of your concerns.

Warm Regards.

Please Wait One Year before Revising Your Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Cupcakeceri,

You should wait for one year before considering revising rhinoplasty on the nasal tip. The tissues and the plane between them need that time to heal and soften.

Swelling following rhinoplasty takes time to resolve. Specifically, nasal tip is the last place for swelling resolution and absorption.

It may be difficult to wait but you will be best served to wait that time. It is possible that the swelling of the nasal tip will improve significantly enough that you would only need minor or no revision.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Tip Revision 4 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

Final maturation with total resolution of tip swelling usually takes longer than 4 months. Your tip does appear relatively big at this time, but it is best to wait up to one year before revision surgery. Serial photographs and examinations will help in the timing of that operation. A young lady like yourself wants this to be the final and definitive procedure.

It is best to wait before revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Tip swelling is often the last area to resolve, especially if you had a wide or bulky tip to begin with. It can take up to 12 months for all residual swelling to go away in the tip. A rough rule of thumb is that if your tip still feels on the firm side, there is still swelling there. If it is still firm, gentle finger massage or the back side of an electric toothbrush can help. Most rhinoplasty surgeons will not consider a revision until 12 months from the original procedure.