Will It Be Safe to Do Corrective Rhinoplasty 11 Months After the First Operation?

In January 2008, I had a rhinoplasty operation. I paid my $1500 deductible and paid an extra $3000 for the cosmetic part. Since I paid my deductible for the year of $1500 , everything I do is basically free for the year.

I had a deviated septum corrected plus a bit of a nose size reduction. My nose looks a lot nicer but I am still not totally satisfied. My septum is now straight but the only problem is that I still can't breath normally from both nose holes at the same time. I decided I wanted my doctor to do a revision to fix it a bit cosmetically since my nose tip still hangs a bit and I still have a bit of a bump on my nose, so I would like for him to bring it down a bit from the top bone, and bring my nose tip up a bit .

He has agreed to do the cosmetic revision at no additional cost and at the same time fix my breathing so I can breath smoothly from both holes at the same time. I have a lot of confidence in my surgeon. I just want him to do minor changes to my nose cosmetically and fix the breathing. Now, since I have already paid my deductible of $1500 for the year 2008 , if I do the surgery in December 2008, I won't have to pay the $1500 deductible, it will be free and it will be 11 months after my original first surgery took place. If I do the revision exactly 12 months later then the surgery will take place in January 2009, then I will need to pay the new $1500 deductible for the new year.

My surgeon recommended I wait 12 months. I asked him if I can do the surgery in December 2008 which is 11 months after my first surgery, but he said he does not recommend it and I should wait until January 2009 which will be 12 months later after my first surgery took place.

Should I wait 11 months or wait 12 months? Will it be safe to do the surgery 11 months later or will I be asking for trouble?

Revision Rhinoplasty: How Long to Wait

+4

The general consensus among rhinoplasty specialists is that a patient wait for 12 months before proceeding with any revision. The reason for this is that it can take 12 months (or longer) for the majority of the post-operative swelling to subside and for scar tissue to mature. However, this time-period is somewhat arbitrary and there should not be any significant difference in waiting 11 versus 12 months. Speak with your surgeon about your concerns regarding the timing and your insurance/cost. He should be able to come up with a plan that will be agreeable to both of you.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adequate Time Before Revision

+3

There are guidelines for time to wait for revision, but the decision is still a matter of surgeon's judgment in each individual case.

Discuss your specific issues with your surgeon; ask if there is some flexibility with the timing to accommodate your financial constraints, or if he feels it is technically necessary and in your best interests to wait.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Do it at 11 months

+2

While surgeons say 6-12 months for a revision, I see no problem at 11 versus 12 months. If the doctor still wants to wait until January, tell him
"OK-you pay my deductible". I'm sure he'll see the light!

11 months is fine

+2

Greetings Eric,

There is probably not much difference in 11 versus 12 months for a rhinoplasty revision. I would definitely suggest speaking with your surgeon about your financial concerns.

Good luck

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, go ahead with your revision rhinoplasty

+2

From a surgical stand point, it's fine to go ahead and do your revision at 11 months. Not much will change in the next month or so...good luck.

Vishal Kapoor, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Eric,

You should discuss your financial and insurance concerns with your surgeon.  It is perfectly fine to have a revision surgery at 11 months.  It is safe to do at this point.  Good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

With rhinoplasty, one month makes little difference

+2

I don't believe that one month would make any difference. I do minor revisions at 6 months to a year after the initial surgey.  Good luck!

Armen Vartany, MD

Corrective Rhinoplasty 11 Months After the First Operation

+1

While 6 - 12 months is the rule of thumb, each patient is different in terms of how he/she heals.  If the surgeon is uncomfortable in performing the surgery earlier, then you should respect his/her opinion.  The surgeon should clearly explain his/her reasoning so you can make an informed decision.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

11 months

+1

The nose takes time to heal from an initial operation.  The tissues need to settle out and the skin envelping the nose "contracts down" like shrink-wrap.  The time for this to take place and the extend to which it takes place depends on things  like skin thickness, how glandular the skin is, whether or not there are cartilage grafts in place (and their thickness as well) and what layer the surgeon dissected in the first time.  Some noses are "settled out" by 9-12 mos others with thick skin may take up to 1.5 yrs.  There is a tremendous amt of variability.

Normally a month difference when you are approaching a year out iwill not make a huge difference.  Its much more important when you are more "fresh out" from the first surgery.  I would re-vist the situation with him and ask what elements of your nose will make the extra four weeks critical to the success of the operation.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty at 11 months versus 12 months postop.

+1

Waiting another month beyond the 11 months you have already waited will make little to no difference from a surgical persective.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon