How Long Does Swelling from Smart Lipo Last?

I had Smart Lipo done on my flanks 9 days ago, and I am still in a lot of discomfort. I'm experiencing a lot of itching, numbness, and some prominent swelling which gets worse as day goes along. I am more concerenced about getting better than seeing the result at the moment--it is inhibiting my work. When do you start feeling better? How long does the swelling last?

You must give it time

+4

Smartlipo does give you a quicker healing time that traditional liposuction alone but you have to remember that you just had a surgical procedure 9 days ago. Most patients want to have a procedure done, lose the fat and look great the next day. We, as surgeons, also would like this but it can't always happen this way. everyone is different and everyone heals at differnet rates.

I always tell patients that they will get bigger before they get smaller. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the initial swelling to go down and then about 2-3 months for all of the skin tightening to take place.

Unfortunately, there are areas such as the flanks and the outer thighs that can have some discomfort for a few weeks. Despite all of this, you should be able to be out walking or doing lighter exercise after the first week following SmartLipo. Compression garments help and gentle easy stretching can help as well.

try to be patient, it will get better soon.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart Lipo Recovery Time

+1

It's important to keep in mind that while Smart Lipo is considered a  minimally invasive procedure, it's still considered surgery.  Eating a diet low in sodium after your procedure, drinking plenty of fluids and making sure to keep active with walking regularly all help to reduce swelling.  It's also vital to keep wearing your compression garments, as these are instrumental in reducing your swelling.  In general, the worst of the swelling lasts for about the first two weeks, however, every patient heals at a different rate. 

Mytien Goldberg, MD