How Long to Wear Compression Garment After Smart Lipo

I had Smart Lipo done a week ago. I feel excellent and I'm healing nicely, but I feel uncomfortable wearing the compression garment. How long do I have to wear the compression garment?

Compression garments for liposuction

+13

Thanks for your question.

As with any treatment you have received you should direct questions like this to your doctor.

The concept of compression garments after any form of liposuction are two fold.

First the garment helps collapse the tunnels within the fat that have been formed by the liposuction. This improves the result and that compression needs to be in place until the scar tissue has formed to help hold those tunnels in a collapsed position. This usually takes 2 weeks to a month and in rare cases as long as six weeks.

The second concept of a compression garment is to reduce swelling and edema in the area. This usually only requires about one to two weeks.

There is some variability on length of compression I use in my practice depending on the site of the liposuction I have performed. In general if a patient can tolerate the compression garment a little longer the results tend to be better.

Steven Williams, MD

Wear your garment as long as you feel comfortable.

+8

SkinnyForever, I suggest that patients wear their garment at least 1 week after Smartlipo (or any lipo) to help keep the swelling under control. You may more comfortable garments in your local department store, such as Spanx at Bloomingdale's which are more comfortable. In any case, it will not make any long-term difference, but will help with the swelling in the short-term. Good luck with your recovery. David Shafer, MD New York City

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Compression garments and Liposuction: Smart Lipo and Ultrasound Liposuction

+5

Compression garments play an important role in the management of liposuction patients. They reduce the duration of edema and help contour the body.

Keep in mind that another major factor to succesful surgery is gentle but rigorous massage of the affected area. Our office recommends the Endermologie treatments post liposuction to minimize contour irregularities. The system is excellent in the long term management of these patients.

Use of Compression Garments after liposuction

+3

This answer varies dependent on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advise. However in general this is the routine for my patients.

The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression  garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.

Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy. My routine for Smart Liposuction would be the same as traditional liposuction. I do not see feel there is any benefit with smart lipo despite the companies' claims.

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.

Liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:

it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Garment after Smartlipo

+3

After traditional liposuction we recommend patients wearing the garment for 2-4 weeks, occasionally up to 6 weeks for patients who had significant amount of fatty tissue removed.

After Smart lipo we divide all the patient's into 2 categories. The patient's who have only Smartlipo and patients who have had traditional liposuction along with Smart lipo.

The advantage of Smart lipo is that it can result in additional skin tightening, the disadvantage of laser body resurfacing that the swelling after use of laser can stay in a but longer than without it.

Therefore, I usually recommend patient's to wear the compression garment for 2 to 6 weeks for body contouring and at least a week for neck tightening. The longer the patients wear the garment, the less residual swelling they will have and the faster they will heal.

The surgical garments are not the most comfortable to wear, using over-the-counter minimizers is also a very acceptable way of maintaining a gentle compression.

Sincerely,

Boris Volshteyn M.D., M.S.

East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment After Smart Lipo...

+2

After having smart liposuction surgery, compression garments should be worn for at least 3-6 weeks.  The compression garments apply pressure to the areas that were focused on and help the skin to tighten.  Wearing the garment reduces swelling, and lessens the chance of severe bruising.  Some patients do fine with only wearing the garment for a week, but to give yourself the best chance of having great results, you should wear it as much as you can for the six weeks.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction and SmartLipo

+2

Different plastic surgeons have different protocols for compression garments after liposuction and SmartLipo.  It would be best to discuss this with your surgeon, however, in our practice we usually recommend wearing the compression garments for anywhere between two to six weeks. In general to longer you wear your garments, it is believed that they will enhance your results.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments enhance your liposuction results

+1
Compression garments are worn after many jaw line and neck procedures including traditional liposuction, laser liposuction (Smart Lipo), neck and face lifts.
The duration is dictated by the type of procedure and what the goal of the compression garment is.
With all of these surgeries, a compression garment is worn for the first 2 to 7 days to help minimize bruising and swelling.  With liposuction and Smart Lipo, the garment is worn and additional 3 to 6 weeks because it helps the skin smooth out more evenly and help it adhere to the underlying deeper structures.  This is less important with a neck lift after the first week because any excess or loose skin has been surgically removed so there is no need for even re draping of the overlying skin because all excess has been removed. 
In summary, it therefore much more important with liposuction and Smart Lipo, with duration averaging from 4 to 6 weeks for optimal results.
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon